Mini Nutty Banana Lentil Muffins are a delicious treat for kids and adults alike. These moist banana muffins will satisfy the pickiest eater and are a delicious treat for any time of the day and for any occasion!
Lentils add a healthy component to this, and any other, recipe. You have to give them a try!
Banana Lentil Muffins
We use lentils regularly, have many delicious recipes that require lentils and enjoy cooking with them.
Their health benefits are such an added bonus. We are surrounded by picky eaters and we always chuckle because most of the time they have no idea they are eating lentils at all.
We keep lentils that are cooked, in the refrigerator, just so they are ready to add to cookies, cakes, curries, casseroles, dips, soups, salads, or anything we desire!
We also keep canned lentils in the cupboard as well, just in case they are needed in a pinch!
That being said depending on the lentil you are using cooking time is the same or better as rice! Rinse and simmer. That is it. Lentils do not even need to soak!
I hate to admit this but for the first few years I cooked lentils only after soaking them! I was so happy to hear soaking was not needed! Believe me.
We love lentils for their versatility. Most don't realize that you can and should be including lentils with everything possible.
The fact that lentils are a plant based protein is so important to a healthier diet and why not especially if no one notices? That being said, below is a sneaky recipe that you will love.
Ingredients in Best Banana Lentil Muffins
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- red lentils
- walnuts or pecans
- chocolate chips, mini or regular
- ripe bananas
- cooking spray
How to Make Easy Lentil Banana Muffins
First, you need to prepare your lentils. If using dry red lentils they don't need to soak so use a saucepan and boil them for 7 minutes without salt.
Once tender, make sure your lentils are rinsed and drained. Set aside until you need them.
Preheat your oven and prepare a mini or regular muffin pan with cooking spray. (I LOVE using mini muffin tins to make these cute and tasty muffins!)
Blend butter and sugar until creamy.
In same bowl combine eggs, milk, vanilla, mashed bananas and stir.
Once incorporated add your dry ingredients, specifically, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Again, in the same bowl mix until blended.
Add lentils, walnuts or pecans if using and gently combine with rubber spatula or a wooden spoon.
Place batter in each prepared muffin cup and bake for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Leave in pan for 5 minutes before placing on a wire rack to complete the cooling process.
Serve and enjoy every bite!
Mini Nutty Banana Lentil Muffins
- 2-3 bananas, over ripe, mashed
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup split red lentils, rinsed
- ½-3/4 cup walnut or pecans, coarsely chopped if desired ,more or less to taste
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips, mini or regular if desired, more or less to taste
- cooking spray
- Using a small saucepan boil 2 cups of water without salt.
- Add lentils, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 7 minutes, or softened. Drain and set aside.
- Your other alternative is to use canned lentils that are already cooked and rinse them.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar and mix until smooth in a large bowl, ideally with a handheld or stand mixer.
- Add eggs, milk, vanilla and mashed bananas and stir.
- Mix in flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt until totally incorporated.
- Add your lentils, walnuts or pecans or chocolate chips and gently combine. We always use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Leave in pan for 5 minutes before placing on a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Serve and enjoy every bite!