Creamy Blue Cheese Dip tangy and creamy and the perfect dip for your wings or vegetables. This delicious dip is an amazing way to get your family to eat their vegetables. They won’t be able to resist dipping their fresh vegetables into this tangy blue cheese dip recipe.
The most classic pairing for blue cheese dip is with wings, but this fantastic dip doesn’t have to be limited! It also makes a great veggie dip as long as you’re good with this unique, sharp, and salty taste. This recipe tastes just like a classic blue cheese dip. Better than any store bought we have ever tasted. If you love blue cheese, you will love this dip.
Chicken wings are a family favorite around our house. We have them at least a couple times a month. Not only are they super tasty, but they are simple to make. I like to make my chicken wings in the air fryer instead of deep frying them.
When you make chicken wings in the air fryer, you get the same crispy texture as deep frying without all the oil and fat. Another great thing about chicken wings is that you can change up the flavors so much they are so flexible.
I always serve my chicken wings with blue cheese dip when I make any type of spicy chicken wing. This blue cheese recipe is definitely a family favorite dip recipe.
How do I store blue cheese dip
When you are storing your blue cheese dip, be sure to store your dip in the fridge. You need to keep your blue cheese dip tightly covered to avoid air causing your dip to go rancid.
Have no fear though, you have about a week before your dip goes bad, so plenty of time to enjoy its tasty flavors.
What to serve with this Blue cheese dip recipe
There are so many different ways to serve up this creamy blue cheese dip. Here are some of my favorite ways to dip
- Fresh Vegetables – Celery Sticks, Carrot Sticks, Cucumber Slices, etc.
- Salads – Use as a dressing on a salad.
- Pasta Salad – Use as a pasta salad dressing
- Chicken Wings – Dip for chicken wings
- Buffalo Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Buffalo Chicken meatballs – add or dip buffalo chicken meatballs.
- Chips or Pretzels
- French Fries – Great to dip!
- Pizza – I love dipping pizza in this dressing, too.
- Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
Can I freeze this blue cheese dip recipe
Unfortunately, you cannot freeze this dip. It just doesn’t hold up well in the freezer. No worries though, you have about a week to use up this delicious and creamy dip. So that’s plenty of time to enjoy this tasty treat.
What is Blue Cheese
Blue cheese, which is also called bleu cheese, is a cheese that is made up of cultures from penicillium. Does that word look familiar to you? The mold which makes up blue cheese is, in fact, the same mold that makes the famous antibiotic penicillin. I find it so odd that I am allergic to the antibiotic penicillin. However, I can still eat blue cheese.
Blue cheese got its name from the fact that the Penicillium mold can make the cheese look blue. The mold gives the cheese a color range from blue to green. Blue cheese is also known for being extremely intense. The smell of blue clue is very distinct. The odor is caused by the mold penicillium.
History of Blue Cheese Dip
I’ve told you before, but I love reading up on food history. It is so exciting, and I learn so many facts. If you were to ever play food trivia, trust me, you will want me on your team.
This week I did some research on the history of blue cheese dip, and I thought I would share the information that I found with you.
The first time that blue cheese dressing or dip was recorded to be used was in 1918. It was found to be listed in a cookbook called the Fannie Farmer’s Cookbook.
The blue cheese dressing or dip recipe took off in 1928 when the Edgewater Hotel Salad Book published the recipe. At the time, the recipe was called Roquefort Dressing. It quickly became a famous salad dressing and then turned into the dip that it is now.
Ingredients for Creamy Blue Cheese Dip
- ¾ cup bleu or blue cheese, crumbled
- ¾ cup mayo
- 6 tablespoons sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, more or less to taste
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
How to Make Creamy Blue Cheese Dip
Step 1. Ideally, using a handheld or stand mixer, combine ingredients and blend until smooth.
Step 2. Taste your dip and see if it needs more hot sauce and garlic powder.
Step 3. Refrigerate your dip for at least an hour, if not longer. The longer, the better.
Step 4. Serve and enjoy.
- I always add more garlic and pepper to my dip for our taste preferences.
- This dip will last for a week in an airtight container inside your fridge.
More Delicious Dip Recipes
- Homemade queso dip
- Cream cheese fruit dip
- Homemade Easy Cream Cheese Hot Mexican Corn Dip
- Cheesy Bacon Ranch Bean Dip
- Simple Spinach Artichoke Dip
Creamy Blue Cheese Dip Recipe Video
Creamy Blue Cheese Dip
- ¾ cup bleu or blue cheese crumbled
- ¾ cup mayo
- 6 tablespoons sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder more or less to taste
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- First, gather all your ingredients.
- Ideally, using a handheld or stand mixer, combine ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Taste your dip and see if it needs more hot sauce and garlic powder.
- I always add more of both. My husband always adds more pepper.
- Refrigerate your dip for at least an hour, if not longer. The longer the better.
- Serve and enjoy.