Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings are fast, easy, and always delicious. Just spicy enough for your taste buds and so flavorful! This air fryer buffalo chicken wings recipe packs just enough spicy heat to make for a great wing experience without being overpowering. It’s perfect as an appetizer or main entrée!
I’ve been a fan of chicken wings for as long as I can remember. I was never a picky eater, to begin with, so when I tried those sweet and spicy wings at a young age, I was immediately hooked. That sweetness and the heat combined with the coolness of the bleu cheese dipping sauce just made every tastebud in my mouth happy.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO WINGS
Before we get into cooking the wings, let’s talk about where they came from. Like so many of our favorite meals, they were a fluke. A happy accident. Nobody was looking to make these delicious, sweet, and spicy wings. Thank goodness they did, though.
Buffalo wings were born in 1964 at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York. There, co-owner, Teressa Bellissimo, cooked leftover chicken wings in hot sauce as a late-night snack for her son and his friends. It was late, so she simply grabbed what she had on hand – chicken, spices, and hot sauce – and threw them together.
They were such a hit with the boys that the Bellissimos put the wings on their menu the very next day. They were an instant hit with the customers, as well.
This ingredients list may seem long but you should already have most of these ingredients on hand in your pantry or fridge already.
- chicken wings, separated
- buffalo sauce
- honey barbecue sauce
- garlic powder
- green onions
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS
Step 1. Get out and measure all of your ingredients.
Step 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine buffalo sauce, BBQ sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Step 3. Add green onions.
Step 4. Using a whisk, stir until blended.
Step 5. Place chicken wings in sauce mixture, tossing them until they are completely coated.
Step 6. Place a single layer of coated chicken wings in a greased air fryer basket.
Step 7. You may have to cook in a couple of batches. Air fry at 400ºF for 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
Step 8. Remove from air fryer.
Step 9. Baste again if desired.
Step 10. Serve with dip. And enjoy!
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this buffalo wings in air fryer recipe up.
Sauce: If you don't have honey bbq sauce on hand can use you any type of bbq sauce that you have.
Green onions: Skip the green onions and use 1 teaspoon of onion powder instead if you are out.
Want to personalize this chicken wings recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
Spicy: If you like spicy hot wings then leave out of the bbq sauce and add in additional hot sauce for a spicy kick.
Mild: If you like mild wings add melted butter to your sauce until you have the level of mildness that you prefer.
Lemon Pepper: Replace the bbq sauce and wing sauce with your favorite lemon pepper sauce or seasoning for lemon pepper wings.
- Large mixing bowl
- Silicone brush
- Air Fryer
Tips for Buffalo Chicken Wings
- No matter what you’re cooking, always grease or thoroughly spray your air fryer basket with non-stick spray. No matter what you’re cooking, there’s always a possibility that the food could stick, ruining your recipe.
- This goes for almost any chicken recipe. Whether you’re coating it to be fried or with a sauce as this recipe calls for, dry your chicken first. Pat it down with paper towels to absorb excess mositure before battering or tossing with sauce. This allows either to stick to the chicken more readily.
- Don't overcrowd your air fryer basket. When you overcrowd the basket, the air won't circulate and it will affect the cooking time and temperature. Plus, your wings won't be able to crisp up all the way.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Do you love air fryer recipes? If so give these recipes a try:
How long can I store leftover chicken wings?
You can store leftover chicken wings in an air-tight container or baggie for 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
How to reheat leftover buffalo wings?
You can reheat leftover chicken wings in the microwave for 1-2 minutes on 50% power or until warmed through. Or you can place them back in an air fryer for 2 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit to warm up your chicken wings again.
Can I freeze cooked hot wings?
Yes, you can. To freeze cooked chicken wings: Cool your hot wings and place them in freezer-safe ziplock baggies. Place the baggies flat in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to use, unthaw and warm back up in an air fryer or oven.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings - Crispy Oven Directions too!
- Air Fryer or rimmed baking sheet if using oven
- Get out and measure all of your ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine buffalo sauce, BBQ sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Add green onions.
- Using a whisk, stir until blended.
- Place chicken wings in sauce mixture, tossing them until they are completely coated.
- Place a single layer of coated chicken wings in a greased air fryer basket.
- You may have to cook in a couple batches. Air fry at 400ºF for 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
- Remove from air fryer.
- Baste again if desired.
- Serve with dip.
- Get out and measure all of your ingredients.
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil and a rack coated in cooking spray. Set aside.
- Separate the wings from the drums and pat them dry with a paper towel. Trim the wing tips if desired and place in a large resealable bag.
- Sprinkle baking powder all over. Adjust and shake the wings around to ensure they're all lightly coated in baking powder.
- Transfer the wings to the baking sheet and sprinkle with seasoning salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes on the lower-middle rack.
- Remove wings from lower-middle to upper-middle rack and turn the temperature up to 425 degrees. Bake until wings are a nice golden brown color; between 40 to 45 minutes. Timing will depend on the size of the wings and cooking time could take a little bit less or longer. Turn baking sheet halfway through baking.
- Remove wings from oven and let stand for at least 5 minutes wile you prepare buffalo sauce.
- Place garlic powder, melted butter and hot sauce in a medium bowl.
- Until blended.
- Spoon the sauce over each wing or put wings in bowl and toss with sauce to coat. Turn to coat evenly.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy every bite!
- Serve warm with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping. Enjoy every bite!