This bistro shrimp pasta copycat Cheesecake Factory recipe has all the delicious flavors we love about the original. Breaded crispy shrimp is placed on a bed of pasta in a creamy lemon sauce with herbs, spices, and vegetables.
This shrimp pasta recipe is one of my favorite copycats. It’s so full of flavor, and it really does taste just like the original. Shrimp and pasta make a winning combination for weeknight dinners or even for a special occasion.
Bistro Shrimp Pasta Cheesecake Factory Copycat
This bistro shrimp pasta recipe uses quite a few ingredients, but they’re all readily available at your local grocery store. There’s nothing fancy here.
For the Shrimp
- Italian bread crumbs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon zest
For the Pasta
- Garlic cloves
- Button mushrooms
- Cherry tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
For the Sauce
- Salted butter
- Garlic cloves
- Heavy cream
- Vegetable stock
- Chopped basil
- Freshly cracked peppercorns
- Pinch of salt
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities.
This Cheesecake Factory copycat shrimp bistro pasta recipe requires several steps but don’t let that turn you away. When you break them all down, it’s a very simple recipe.
Step 1: Prep
Finely slice the shallot, cut the cherry tomatoes in half, slice the button mushrooms into quarters, and slice the basil into ribbons.
Step 2: Marinade the Shrimp
Add the shrimp to a large mixing bowl and toss them with salt and pepper. Then, whisk the eggs and buttermilk together and pour over the shrimp. Let the shrimp soak until ready to use.
Step 3: Cook the Pasta
Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain the pasta, return it to the pot, and set it aside.
Step 4: Saute the Vegetables
Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil and sliced shallots to it. Season with a pinch of salt and cook the shallot until it begins to caramelize.
Then, after 2 to 3 minutes, add the mushrooms. Drizzle more olive oil over the top of the vegetables and saute for 2 minutes. Finally, add the halved tomatoes. Stir and let simmer while you make the sauce.
Step 5: Make the Basil Cream Sauce Base
In another pan over medium-high heat, melt butter, then whisk in flour. Cook for 30 seconds, then, pour ¼ cup heavy cream into the flour mixture. Whisk until smooth.
Step 6: Grate Garlic
Remove the pan from the heat and grate garlic cloves into the sauce.
Step 7: Add Cream and Lemon Juice
Return the sauce to the heat and add ¼ cup more heavy cream, whisking until incorporated. Then, add the juice of a lemon and whisk.
Step 8: Grate More Garlic
Remove the sauce from the heat once more and grate more garlic cloves into it.
Step 9: Continue Cooking the Sauce
Return the sauce to the heat and pour the remaining cream into it. Whisk well and cook for 3 minutes.
Step 10: Add White Wine to Vegetables
Deglaze the vegetable pan with white wine. Cook for about 30 seconds to burn off the alcohol and then add the minced garlic. Lower the heat, add the juice of a lemon, stir, and let the mixture simmer.
Step 11: Finish the Sauce
Pour the vegetable stock into the sauce and whisk. Then, lower the heat to a simmer. Add lemon zest and stir in the chopped basil, cracked peppercorns, and a pinch of salt. Keep the lemon basil cream sauce at a simmer.
Step 12: Add Vegetables to the Pasta
Add the vegetables, along with all the juice in the pan, to the pot with the pasta and cover it to keep it warm.
Step 13: Bread the Shrimp
Add Italian bread crumbs to a shallow bowl. Then, remove the shrimp from the buttermilk mixture and add them to the breadcrumbs, tossing to coat.
Step 14: Pan Fry the Shrimp
Place the pan used to make the vegetables back on the stove and heat it over medium-high heat. Then, add olive oil and place the shrimp in the pan in a single layer. Finely grate a lemon over the shrimp while they cook.
Next, remove the pan from the heat and flip the shrimp. Return the pan to the heat and pan fry for another minute.
Step 15: The Finishing Touches
Stir the sauce and pour it over the noodles, then, add the uncooked basil and stir to combine. Serve a bed of pasta topped with the shrimp on a plate and enjoy.
Hint: Be sure not to overcook the shrimp. They should be plump and just done, not tough.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this bistro pasta shrimp
- Homemade Buttermilk – If you don’t have buttermilk, combine 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice with 1 cup of milk to make your own.
- Black Pepper – If you don’t have peppercorns, regular ground pepper will work.
- Homemade Italian Bread Crumbs – If you don’t have Italian bread crumbs, simply add Italian seasoning to regular bread crumbs to make your own.
Want to personalize this bistro shrimp recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Spicy – Add red pepper flakes to the Italian bread crumbs for a kick of heat.
- Crab – Swap out half the shrimp with fresh crab meat for even more shellfish flavor.
- Chicken – Swap out the shrimp with 1 inch pieces of boneless chicken breast.
- Parmesan Cheese – Grate a little parmesan cheese over the entire dish when serving.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this cajun shrimp pasta.
You’ll only need basic cooking equipment to make this recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Food grater
Store this dish in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I have some tips here that will help you make this bistro shrimp pasta recipe from good to great. They’re simple but important so don’t overlook this section.
- Don’t handle your shrimp more than necessary after coating them. This helps keep the breading from falling off.
- Only flip your shrimp once while pan frying them.
- Don’t overcook your shrimp or they’ll get tough and rubbery.
More Shrimp Recipes
Do you like shrimp? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Do you have questions about making Cheesecake Factory bistro shrimp pasta recipe at home? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this Cheesecake Factory shrimp pasta copycat recipe.
Yes, you can cook shrimp from a frozen state. It will take a little bit longer and you will need to make sure they are peeled and deveined in advance. Run them under cold water to slightly thaw out the outside and then they’re ready to go. Extend the cooking time by 4-6 minutes on each side.
Microwave the pasta and heat the shrimp over medium-high heat in a pan just until heated through. Then, toss them together.
Overcooking is the most common culprit when it comes to tough shrimp. Try not to overcrowd the shrimp in the pan and cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side, removing it from the heat as soon as it’s finished.
Bistro Shrimp Pasta
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Bistro Shrimp Pasta
- 2 lbs shrimp
- 1 egg whisked
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- grated lemon peel
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups button noodles
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup basil
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked peppercorns
- Pinch salt
- Gather your ingredients and get ready to go.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat and bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil. While it's heating, prepare the vegetables and sauce.
Prep the Shrimp
- Add shrimp to a large mixing bowl and toss with salt and pepper to season.
- Whisk eggs and buttermilk together and pour over the shrimp. Set aside and let them marinate while you work on the rest of the recipe.
Cook the Vegetables
- Prep the other ingredients needed in the recipe. Finely slice the shallot. Cut cherry tomatoes in half. Slice button mushrooms into quarters. Slice basil into ribbons.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sliced shallots.
- Season with a pinch of salt and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes for shallots to caramelize.
- Add the mushrooms and drizzle the remaining tablespoon olive oil over the top of the vegetables.
- Sauté for the mushrooms for 2 minutes.
- Add the halved tomatoes and stir. Simmer on low heat while preparing the sauce.
- Heat a second frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the butter and cook until melted.
- Add the flour and whisk in the butter.
- Cook for 30 seconds. Pour in ¼ cup of the heavy cream. Whisk until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Take 2 garlic cloves and grate over the sauce. Return to heat.
- Pour in ¼ cup more of the heavy cream
- Whisk until incorporated.
- Add juice from 1 lemon and whisk. Remove from heat, grate remaining 2 garlic cloves into the sauce and return to heat.
- Pour in remaining ½ cup of cream and whisk well. Cook for 3 minutes. Lower the heat to simmer. Zest the lemon over the sauce and stir in chopped basil, cracked peppercorns, and a pinch of salt. Keep at a simmer.
- When the water boils, add the pasta and cook according to the package directions.
- Add the white wine to the pan of sautéed vegetables pan and use a spoon to scrape up any browned bits on the pan. Cook at least 30 seconds to let the alcohol burn off, then add the minced garlic and lower the heat. Juice the lemon into the pan. Stir and let simmer.
- Drain pasta and add back to the pot. Pour the pan with shallots and mushrooms into the pasta (juice and all).
- Toss to coat all the pasta. Set aside the pot with pasta and cover to maintain temperature.
- Add Italian bread crumbs to a shallow bowl and add the shrimp.
- Toss the shrimp in the bread crumbs to coat.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the hot pan. Carefully add shrimp in a single layer. Pan fry for 1 minute. Zest the lemon over the shrimp as they cook.
- Remove the pan from the heat and turn the shrimp over. Return to the heat and pan fry for 1 more minute.
Put It All Together
- Stir the sauce and pour over the noodles.
- Add the uncooked ribboned basil to the pot.
- Stir it to coat the noodles and vegetables with the sauce.
- Serve up in a bowl and top with shrimp and fresh grated parsley.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Each bite!