Banana dessert egg rolls will be your new favorite easy, yet delish, fruit dessert that everyone is sure to love. Lightly sweetened bananas and cream cheese are the filling stuffed inside a perfectly crunchy crust!! You will find instructions to prepare these tasty banana egg roll treats in the oven, air fryer or deep fryer.
My friends and family love when I serve these up!! Banana rolls make a fun sweet treat that works fantastic for dessert night, potlucks, game night or even football parties!! They're great on a plate with some ice cream or whipped cream for a decadent dessert or all alone as a finger food!!
Dessert Egg Rolls with Banana
This easy banana rolls dessert recipe was inspired by my another fresh banana recipe on Kitchen Divas, and pairs well with this hot chocolate ice cream recipe that's the perfect combination of bananas and chocolate!!
Making banana egg rolls requires basic ingredients that you may already have in the pantry or can be found at your local grocery store.
- cane or beet sugar
- vanilla extract
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- powdered sugar
- butter flavoring
- egg roll wrappers
- brown sugar
- caramel sauce
See recipe card further down on the page for the exact quantities of each ingredient.
You will find three different methods for cooking banana egg rolls, the air fryer, regular oven or by frying.
The instructions for preparing the egg rolls remains the same regardless of how you decide to cook them. Follow steps 1 and 2 for all methods and then in Step 3, choose your cooking method instructions and follow those.
Step 1: Prep the Filling for Banana Rolls
Peel and slice the bananas and place in a bowl. Use a fork to lightly mash the bananas and set aside.
Mix together the cane sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, cream cheese, sour cream, powdered sugar, and butter flavoring in a medium bowl with a whisk until smooth.
Add the mashed bananas to the bowl and use a spatula to gently fold bananas in until blended but not smooth.
Place the mixture into the freezer for 20 minutes to allow the mixture to set and firm up a bit. so the egg rolls are easier to fill.
Step 2: Roll Banana Egg Rolls
Layout the egg roll wrappers flat. Add ¼ cup of banana cream filling into the center of each egg roll wrapper in a diagonal line.
Fold in both of the corners over the filling, then fold one side over the filling and tightly roll to the other side. Repeat until all egg rolls are finished.
Whisk egg and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Brush the top of the egg rolls with egg wash and sprinkle with brown sugar.
Step 3: Cook the Dessert Egg Rolls
Choose from cooking banana egg rolls in the air fryer, deep fryer or oven.
Air Fryer Cooking Method
Preheat the air fryer to 385 degrees for 5 minutes.
Lightly spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Place egg rolls in a single layer inside, leaving a half inch of space in between each one. (If they touch they will stick- multiple batches may be needed).
Cook for 4 minutes, flip, and cook for 4 more minutes. Check that the egg rolls are golden brown before removing. Repeat same procedure to cook remaining egg rolls.
Carefully remove egg rolls and let cool for 5 minutes.
Deep Fry Cooking Method
Prepare a plate by lining it with paper towel.
Add about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Allow oil to heat until it starts to form small bubbles, around 350° F.
Add egg rolls, leaving space in between and fry each side until golden. You may need to cook in batches if they won't all fit in the pan.
This will take about 1 minute per side.
Transfer cooked egg rolls to your prepared plate. Allow the excess grease to soak into the paper towel.
Bake Egg Rolls in Regular Oven
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil and cooking spray and set aside.
Place wrapped egg rolls, seal or seam side down, on your prepared baking sheet with space between the egg rolls. Brush olive or another vegetable oil on the top and sides of the egg rolls and bake for 8 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and flip the egg rolls onto the other side and cook another 8 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown.
Hint: With all cooking methods, be sure to leave space in between the egg rolls so they are not touching each other. The space will allow areas of the crust to brown and crisp up.
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this Banana Egg Roll recipe.
- Egg Roll Wrappers - Use empanada dough or pie crust instead to make mini hand pies. These require only a simple fold over the filling and crimping of the edges. They can be cooked using the same three methods, but may require a longer cooking time for the dough to fully cook through.
- Banana - Swap out the banana with pineapple, strawberries, blueberries or mixed berries for a variety of flavors!
Want to personalize this dessert egg rolls with banana recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
Mix one of the following into the filling along with the bananas:
- Strawberries, chopped
- Chocolate or caramel chips
- Shredded or flaked coconut
- Mini marshmallows
Add a spoonful of peanut butter or chocolate hazelnut spread on top of the banana filling before rolling them up!
Replace the cinnamon with cardamom and coriander instead!
This fun dessert recipe requires a few common kitchen tools to prepare plus an air fryer, oven or stovetop for the cooking.
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons and cups
Air Fryer Method
- Air fryer
Oven Baked Method
- Baking tray
If you have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Banana egg rolls take a little more work to make, but are totally worth it. Here are a few tips I've discovered on the way that hopefully will help to make things easier for you.
- Partially freezing the filling makes it easier to work with when rolling the egg rolls. If the filling starts to get too soft while you are rolling the egg rolls, place it back into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- If you are in a pinch for time you can roll the egg rolls right after the filling is ready, but taking the time to freeze it does make it easier.
- Leave space in between the egg rolls when cooking for all cooking methods. This means in some instances you may need to cook them in batches.
- When cooking in the air fryer, be sure to use non-stick cooking spray or parchment paper to prevent the egg rolls from sticking to the basket!
- Use caution when handling the uncooked egg rolls, the wrappers are fragile before they're cooked and may easily rip.
- Allow the egg rolls to cool a few moments to cool before eating as the filling inside may be super hot!
- Banana egg rolls are best served warm with a drizzle of caramel sauce.
More Banana Recipes
Do you like cooking and eating bananas for dessert? Here some recipes you may also like to try
Do you have questions about making these banana rolls? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about making banana dessert egg rolls.
The egg roll wrappers will begin to soften once the mixture is added and rolled. As they soften they become more delicate and can be difficult to move after sitting for a bit. For best results when making ahead, use the oven method and go ahead and put them on the sprayed or parchment lined baking tray as you roll them. Place the entire baking tray into the freezer or refrigerator to store. Remove and allow them to warm up a bit on the counter before baking them in the oven. If frozen, I suggest allowing them to fully thaw out before cooking.
The most common reasons for egg rolls coming apart is that they are either overfilled or not rolled tightly enough. Be sure to measure out the filling as indicated in the recipe. If you are still having difficulty rolling it around the mixture, remove a bit of the filling and attempt again. Also, be sure to roll tightly around the filling. If you are still worried about them opening, dip your fingertip in water and spread it along the inside of the final edge of the dough. This will help it to stick a little more tightly.
For best flavor and texture, banana dessert egg rolls are best eaten after cooking the first time. To reheat, you can use the air fryer or oven to warm them up. Cook at 350° F until crispy on the outside and warm on the inside.
Banana Egg Rolls
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Banana Dessert Egg Rolls
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Air Fryer optional
- skillet optional
- Baking Tray optional
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- Peel and slice bananas.
- Add to a bowl and lightly mash the bananas with a fork and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine cane sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, cream cheese, sour cream, powdered sugar, and butter flavoring. Using a whisk, stir until smooth.
- Add bananas and gently fold bananas in with a spatula until blended but not smooth. Do not over mix.
- Place the mixing bowl into the freezer for 20 minutes to allow the mixture to slightly harden. This will make it easier to form the egg rolls.
- Add ¼ cup of banana filling into the center of each egg roll wrapper in a diagonal line. Fold in both of the corners over the filling, then fold one side over the filling and tightly roll to the other side. Repeat until all egg rolls are finished. If the filling is too soft, place it back into the freezer for 5 minutes. I found it was easier (and less messy) to work with the filling if it was partially frozen. If you are in a pinch for time you could form the eggrolls right after the filling is ready. We tried both ways and the final result was the same.
- Whisk egg and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl.
- Brush the egg rolls with egg wash.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, if desired.
- Preheat the air fryer to 385 degrees for 5 minutes. Lightly spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Place egg rolls in a single layer inside, leaving a half inch of space in between each one. (If they touch they will stick- multiple batches may be needed)
- Cook for 4 minutes, flip, and cook for 4 more minutes. Check that the egg rolls are golden brown before removing. Be sure to use non-stick cooking spray or parchment paper to prevent the egg rolls from sticking to the basket! The egg roll wrappers are fragile before they’re cooked and will rip.
- Carefully remove egg rolls and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Prepare a plate by lining it with paper towel.
- Put about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat or get out your deep fryer. Allow oil to heat until is starts to form small bubbles, around 350 degrees.
- Add egg rolls and fry each side until golden.
- This will take about 1 minute per side.
- Transfer cooked egg rolls to your prepared plate. Allow the access grease to soak into the paper towel.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil and cooking spray and set aside.
- Place wrapped egg rolls, seal or seam side down, on your prepared baking sheet. Brush olive or another vegetable oil on the top and sides of the egg rolls and bake for 8 minutes.
- Then flip onto the other side and cook another 8 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown.
- Allow a few moments to cool before eating.
- Arrange the egg rolls on a platter while warm and drizzle with caramel sauce. Enjoy every bite!