Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Casserole is a flavorful, easy weeknight dinner. Your favorite ground meat, bacon, cheeses, tater tots and more!
We always keep a big bag of tater tots in the freezer. Every so often we make some sort of casserole with tater tots all over the top of it! This is just one of them. Honestly, I just love tater tots and crave them at times.
This easy dinner is so easy to prepare and totally delicious. You will love this Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Casserole as much as we do!
Our most common combinations of ground meat are ground pork and beef, just ground beef, and ground pork and ground turkey. I find that the ground pork stops the ground turkey, and sometimes the lean ground beef from tasting dry. Maybe it is just me.
I am overly critical of everything I make or is made for me and I just can't seem to help it. I usually keep my thoughts to myself but I am always trying to figure out what I would do differently, if anything. Am I the only one who does this? I sure hope not!
Now, back to this Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Casserole. I encourage all of you to taste your meat mixture before you spread it in your pan. Maybe you want to use some more cheese, find it needs more pepper, hot sauce or ketchup. You get the idea. Always taste before you bake whenever possible.
When I was young I always followed recipes exactly, no matter what. I did that for years until I was lucky enough to sit beside a friend of my mothers who was amazing at everything in the kitchen. She was known for supreme kitchen skills.
I thought at the time, how lucky am I? I had no idea how lucky I really was until after. She shared a bunch of great kitchen tips with me as well as some of her own recipes, including her homemade pasta sauce.
Some day I will get around to putting it on this site. She is Italian and her sauce is the best I ever tasted, freezes beautifully and I think I am going to get off my behind and get it done! I am also going to check and see if I have any in the freezer too.
Ingredients for Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Casserole
- your favorite ground meat
- shredded cheese
- parmesan cheese
- hot sauce
- tater tots
- diced tomatoes
- dry onion soup mix
- green onion for garnish
How to make Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Casserole
In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, crumble and set aside.
In a large skillet or pot, cook meats and onion together, stirring occasionally, until cooked. Drain.
Return meat mixture to skillet or pot.
Stir in onion soup mix, canned tomatoes, cheeses, ketchup, mustard, and relish.
Taste your mixture and add salt and pepper accordingly.
Spoon mixture into your prepared casserole dish and flatten until even and smooth.
Sprinkle top with cheese.
Arrange the frozen tater tots in an even layer over flattened mixture.
Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese and reserved bacon on top of the tater tots.
Change oven temperature to broil.
Return pan to the oven until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Serve with green onions if desired.
We love casseroles, or all in one meals, around here and I have listed some of our favorites below! I am hoping you find at least one other you would like to try! I can't wait to hear what you think or did differently!
Delicious Ground Beef Casseroles to Try
Chili Cheese Tater Tot Hot Dog Casserole
Supreme Layered Beef Casserole
Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole
Easy Creamy Potato Pork Chop Casserole
Below are some of our favorite casseroles that include pasta. Hopefully you have a moment to take a peek at them as well! You never know when you will stumble on to a keeper!
Other Pasta Casseroles to Try
Meat Lovers Pizza Pasta Casserole
Million Dollar Pasta Casserole
Quick and Cheesy Salmon Pasta Casserole
Cheesy Pizza Spaghetti Casserole
Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef, pork, veal or turkey
- 1 cup bacon, chopped, almost crisp or more to taste
- 2 cups cheese, shredded more or less to taste
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 tblsp garlic, minced
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- 2 tblsp yellow mustard
- 2 tblsp pickle relish
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- hot sauce - to taste
- 1 can (28 oz) canned tomatoes, diced
- 1 pkg Dry Onion Soup Mix
- 1 big bag tater tots, frozen
- butter or cooking spray
- 1 green onion. thinly sliced (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium high heat 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble and set aside. Reserve some bacon to sprinkle on top of casserole, at the end, if desired.
- Prepare a 13x9 inch pan lightly coated with cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or pot over medium heat, cook meat or meats and onion together, stirring occasionally, until cooked. Drain. Return to skillet or pot.
- Stir in onion soup mix, canned tomatoes, shredded cheese, parmesan, ketchup, mustard, and relish.
- Taste your mixture and add salt and pepper accordingly.
- Spoon mixture into prepared casserole dish and flatten until even and smooth.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese across the top.
- Arrange the frozen tater tots in an even layer over flattened mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese (or add even more) and reserved bacon on top of the tater tots.
- Change oven temperature to broil.
- Return pan to the oven for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Serve with green onions if desired. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply