You can enjoy a hearty and delicious breakfast croissant sandwich any time of the day! It's loaded up with Egg, bacon, cheese, and more! You have never had a breakfast sandwich like this before!
Enjoy a bacon, egg, and cheese croissant sandwich as a delicious and satisfying way to start your day!! However if you ask me, you can also serve them for brunch, lunch, or dinner.
This classic breakfast sandwich combines the savory flavors of crispy bacon, fluffy eggs, and gooey melted cheese, all nestled inside a buttery, flaky croissant.
You might be surprised by the numerous ways this classic sandwich can be prepared and customized to suit your personal taste preferences.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Total comfort food that requires only a handful of common ingredients and simple steps to make.
- Kid-friendly! Children enjoy the flavor combination of crispy bacon, fluffy eggs, and melted cheese inside a golden, buttery croissant making this recipe an ideal option for a family breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Easy to prepare in advance and store in the refrigerator or freezer. That way you've got a a quick and delicious grab-and-go breakfast during busy mornings.
- It only takes a short time to create while delivering restaurant-quality taste.
Gather these simple ingredients to create a mouthwatering breakfast sandwich that's sure to impress.
- Croissant: Fresh croissants are best, as they provide a perfectly flaky and buttery base for your sandwich. You can also use a bagel, biscuit, and English muffin to make breakfast sandwiches.
- Egg: Feel free to experiment with making eggs your favorite way!
- Crispy Bacon: For the best flavor I suggest cooking it fresh.
- Cheddar Cheese: Really any cheese will do so feel free to use your favorite cheese. Mozzarella, colby, Monterey jack, Swiss, gouda, brie, or provolone are some ideas.
- Veggies: We're adding some tomatoes and onion to to bulk it up.
See the recipe card below for the exact quantities of each ingredient.
Substitutions and Variations
Bacon, egg, and cheese croissants are a delicious and popular option for breakfast. However, there are countless ways to change this classic breakfast sandwich.
- Spicy: Add a bit of chili pepper flakes, sliced jalapeno pepper, our jalapeno powder, smoked jalapeno powder, or chipotle powder to your scrambled egg mixture for a bit of heat.
- Add Some Potatoes: Hashbrowns or another type of crispy potato works great.
- Swap the Bacon: You can use ham, sausage, peameal, Canadian bacon, pancetta, thinly sliced Steak, sliced turkey, or smoked salmon.
- Add Vegetables: Sautéed vegetables like spinach, mushrooms, sweet peppers, or onions work great added to your eggs. Another option is to layer on more fresh vegetables like avocado, tomato slices, lettuce, or baby spinach leaves.
- Add Fresh Herbs: Chives, parsley or basil can also be added to your eggs for more flavor.
- Add Sauce: Replace the mayo or use it in combination with hot sauce, pesto, or onion ketchup.
- Lower Calories: Use turkey bacon or lean ham instead of regular bacon. Switch the croissant for whole grain bread or an English muffin. Use egg whites instead of whole eggs and low-fat cheese.
- Use French Toast: Assemble your sandwich with bacon, egg, and cheese in between two cooked French toast slices.
How to Make The Best Breakfast Croissant
Here's a look at the basic steps for making a bacon, egg, and cheese croissant sandwich for breakfast. Be sure to check the recipe card for the full details.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet, oven, or microwave. Drain it well and set it aside.
- Cook the onions until tender.
💡HINT: We usually fry the bacon in a skillet and then throw onions in the leftover bacon fat to cook and caramelize them. I know that it is terrible but the onions taste so good! You can also skip this and simply use butter.
- Slice your croissant in half and add a slice of cheese. Cut your tomatoes and mix together the mayonnaise and garlic.
- Cook your eggs as desired. This can be poached, fried, or scrambled.
- Place the eggs on top of the cheese. The hot eggs will melt the cheese.
- Add the fried onions.
- Add the tomato slices and bacon on top of the eggs.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the top half of your croissant.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
💡HINT: Don't overcook your eggs as they continue to cook after being taken off the heat!
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy easy breakfast baskets.
When it comes to storing and reheating your bacon egg and cheese croissant, it's essential to do it properly to maintain freshness and taste.
Leftovers: Individually wrap leftovers in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer for two months.
Make Ahead: You can prepare the sandwich components in advance and assemble them when you're ready to serve. Another option is to assemble the sandwiches and wrap each one individually in aluminum foil or plastic wrap, making sure that it's completely sealed. Store the wrapped sandwiches in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag in the fridge for up to three days or in the freezer for two months.
Reheat: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and place sandwiches on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake a thawed sandwich for about 7-10 minutes or until warmed through. You want the cheese melted and the croissant crisp. You can also wrap the frozen sandwich in foil and bake it at 350°F for between 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
I don't recommend reheating the sandwich in the microwave as the croissant may become soggy.
What to Serve with a Breakfast Sandwich
When it comes to enjoying your Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Croissant, there are various ways you can serve this delicious breakfast sandwich. Here are a few ideas:
- Hash browns, air fryer breakfast potatoes, or home fries.
- Fresh fruit salad or Greek yogurt topped with granola.
- For lunch or a light dinner, you can add a small bowl of your favorite warm soup such as roasted vegetable soup or cream of broccoli soup.
- Add a delicious sauce such as bacon aioli, chipotle mayo, or buffalo ranch sauce.
- Use freshly baked croissants from a local bakery or supermarket for the best flavor.
- If your croissants are not fresh, briefly warm them in the oven or toaster before assembling your sandwich.
- Lightly butter the inside of the croissant before toasting for more flavor.
- Build your sandwiches and serve while everything is still warm and crisp.
- Serve and enjoy immediately for the best results.
- Don't overcook your eggs as they will continue to cook slightly after being taken off the heat.
Do you have questions about Bacon Egg and Cheese Croissants? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about them.
Many fast-food chains offer a Bacon Egg and Cheese Croissant sandwich as part of their breakfast menu. Some well-known options include Jimmy Dean's Bacon, Egg & Cheese Croissant Breakfast Sandwich and Dunkin' Donuts. Availability may vary by location, so check with your local restaurant.
While the exact origin of the bacon egg and cheese croissant is unknown, it is a fusion of French and American breakfast favorites, combining the classic, buttery croissant with the popular bacon, egg, and cheese combination.
More Breakfast Recipes
Do you like breakfast recipes? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Bacon Egg and Cheese Breakfast Croissant Sandwich
- Sharp knife regular and serrated
- Cook bacon in a skillet, oven or microwave. Set aside. We usually fry the bacon in a skillet and then throw onions in the left over bacon fat to caramelize them. I know that it is terrible but the onions taste so good!
- After your bacon is cooked either fry onions in bacon fat or use butter. Stir onions frequently, over medium high heat, until tender and brown. Drain on paper towel if necessary. Set aside.
- Slice your tomato and set slices aside. Combine mayonnaise and garlic. Set aside covered in fridge until needed.
- Slice croissants in half, butter for best flavor, and toast for a few minutes under broiler, on a rimmed baking sheet, if desired, while cooking your eggs.
- In your skillet, over medium heat, melt butter or use cooking spray. Crack eggs and cook until they are done the way you like them.
- Place cheese slices on the bottom half. Place eggs on top of the cheese, right from the fry pan. The hot eggs will melt the cheese.
- Next place fried onions, tomato slices and then bacon on top of the eggs.
- Spread mayonnaise on top half of croissant and place on top of sandwich. Serve immediately and enjoy!
This post was originally published September 2016. It has been updated with new content and imges.