The Best Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake recipe is so easy, super moist, and the most flavorful caramel apple cake, with or without ice cream!
Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
This is another recipe from my close friend and fellow foodie Marcel who recently passed away. This is the Best Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake we have ever tasted.
Ever since she first served it to us we have been making it regularly, whether apples are in season or not!
This caramel apple cake recipe is my goto caramel apple cake recipe and is a definite keeper.
This cake is super moist and light with a little caramel apple in every bite! With or without some whipped or ice cream this easy dessert will not disappoint.
If you’re an apple lover or caramel apple lover I can almost guarantee it. Afterall, what’s not to like?
Sauteed apples in a caramel sauce cooked on the bottom of your cake, which becomes the top when flipped over to serve.
As I mentioned, you end up with the most incredible light, moist cake underneath this wonderful caramel apple mixture. What could be better than that?
We all want a cake that is so good you have difficulty trying to stop eating it. This caramel apple upside down cake is that cake.
Apple Upside Down Cake
My son Patrick used to help me in the kitchen, every chance he got. I remember him standing on a chair so he could reach the counter.
I had the same problem when making this or my Caramel Peach Upside Down Cake.
Patrick would giggle and eat so many of the apple or peach slices that I knew I had to always have extra on hand. If I didn’t there wouldn’t be enough to make the recipe.
He was such a cutie. Time just flies. That was so long ago.
Patrick used to be amazed at how the caramel apple mixture ended up on the top of the cake.
Next, he wondered why we didn’t just leave the caramel apples on the bottom.
He loved watching me flip the cake over and seeing all of the hot caramel covered apples baked into the cake. Seeing the caramel drip down the sides and pointing out each drip!
Now, after all these years of eating this apple upside down cake and my Caramel Peach Upside Down Cake, he just devours them. He hasn’t wondered out loud in so long about why the cake is made as directed.
Too bad they get older. Sometimes.
If you love apple desserts you are going to have to try this caramel apple upside down cake recipe.
Apple Upside Down Cake Recipe
This old fashioned apple dessert is a classic for a reason. Made with simple ingredients from scratch, this recipe is an oldie and a goodie.
This is the perfect thing for you to make with all of the apples on your counter.
The caramel sauce and baked apple slices may be the star of the show but don’t underestimate the amazing warm, comforting flavors in the light buttery cake.
Wait until you smell your kitchen while this caramel apple upside down cake is baking.
Let the cake star to cool down, but not completely, inside your pan.
Before you flip your cake upside down, make sure your cake sits for 30 minutes, inside your pan, to allow it to set properly.
You can’t let your cake cool down completely or it won’t flip easily out of your pan.
Remember to take a butter knife and seperate the edge of your caramel apple upside down cake from the pan before flipping your pan over, on to a rack.
Without stopping, place rack on top of cake and flip your cake upside down. If any apple pieces stick to the inside of your pan quickly place them back on top of your cake.
I’m sure no one will ever be able to tell or care if they do!
Caramel Apple Cake Recipe
Both recipes are definitely worth a look!
Best Apples to Use for Baking
The Washington Apple Commission has a fabulous list, including pictures, of every apple. There is a brief history and description of each and most importantly each of their best uses.
It comes in handy when deciding which apple to use in this apple upside down cake recipe, or any other, and which is recommended for baking.
Also, which apple freezes better than others.
I have made apple desserts in the past and the apples have just disappeared. Broken down to nothing but water and the dessert was ruined.
They couldn’t handle the heat from the cooking or baking process. Some apples just don’t hold their shape as well as others and this apple resource has definitely come in handy!
I don’t want you to spend lots of time making this amazing caramel apple upside down cake only to have it not work out as it should.
My favorite apples are as follows. These apples are fairly common in my part of the world but for a more complete list you can always check here.
I prefer to use a tart apple like granny smith with this apple upside down cake recipe but feel free to use your favorite. I haven’t used an apple yet that didn’t turn out beautifully!
That being said, there are some apples that don’t cook as well as others and should be avoided for recipes like this.
Granny Smith apples are tart and sour and go beautifully with a sweet dessert like this.
Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious and Honeycrisp apples are sweet and also taste wonderful in desserts like this.
Ingredients in The Best Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
- brown sugar
- brown sugar
- baking powder
- sour cream
- butter or cooking spray
How to make The Best Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
Prepare your 8-9 inch round or square pan with butter or cooking spray.
Peel, core and cut apples into 1/4 – 1/2 inch slices.
Melt butter in a large skillet and add brown sugar and combine with a wooden spoon.
Add apple slices and cinnamon.
Empty apple mixture in to prepared pan and lightly press into a level layer.
Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.
In a large bowl combine sugar, brown sugar, butter, sour cream, vanilla and eggs.
Add flour mixture to sugar mixture.
Pour batter on top of the apples.
Bake until cake is golden brown.
Let cool in pan for 30 minutes.
Take a butter knife and push in around edges to loosen the cake.
Place wire rack on top of the cake pan.
Holding rack tightly, flip the pan over.
If any fruit sticks to the bottom of the pan just remove it and put it back on the top of cake.
Place cake on serving plate. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream on top and enjoy every bite.
How to Store, Freeze and Reheat your Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
The cake should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
The cake should be removed from the fridge an hour before serving to let it come to room temperature.
You could warm it up in a low 250 degree oven for about 5-10 minutes. You don’t want to dry out your cake.
The caramel apple cake recipe can also be frozen and then thawed in the fridge before serving.
As mentioned, or if you are interested, have a look at our Caramel Peach Upside Down Cake. I love it just as much as The Best Apple Upside Down Cake! Really.
They are both absolutely wonderful.
I also love apples and make several apple dishes you might be interested in trying. I truly love them all and am excited to hear what you think!
Other Delicious Apple Recipes to Try
Other Cakes to Try
The Best Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake Video
The Best Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
- 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch cake pan
- 6 apples, granny smith,peeled, cored, sliced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tblsp butter, unsalted, room temperature or 3/4 of a stick
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- butter or cooking spray for pan
- Prepare your 8-9 inch round or square pan with butter or cooking spray. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Peel, core and cut apples into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and combine with a wooden spoon. When foaming subsides, add apple slices and cinnamon. Stir regularly for 8-10 minutes. Empty apple mixture in to prepared pan and lightly press into a level layer. Set aside.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Set aside. In a large bowl combine sugar, brown sugar, butter, sour cream, vanilla and eggs. Add flour mixture and mix until combined. Pour batter into pan on top of the apples and spread evenly. Bake until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let pan cool for 30 minutes. Take a butter knife and push in around edges to loosen the cake. Place wire rack on top of the cake pan. Holding rack tightly, flip the pan over. I usually do this over the sink. The cake usually drips a little. Then place the wire rack over a baking sheet or large plate. If any fruit sticks to the bottom of the pan just remove it and put it back on the top of cake. Place cake on serving plate and serve warm with whipped cream on top.
How to Store, Freeze and Reheat your Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
- The cake should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.The cake should be removed from the fridge an hour before serving to let it come to room temperature.You could warm it up in a low 250 degree oven for about 5-10 minutes. You don't want to dry out your cake.The cake can also be frozen and then thawed in the fridge before serving.