Follow this copycat Taco Bell cheesy Gordita crunch recipe for a version that's better than Taco Bell's. Like the original, it's loaded with beef, cheese, and seasonings and has an outside that packs a crunch; only it's homemade!
One of my favorite Taco Bell items is the cheesy gordita crunch. Oh, it's so good. I would live off of it if I could. I love it so much, in fact, that I created my own version at home, and it's amazing.
Cheesy Gordita Crunch Recipe
This was inspired by my other Taco Bell copycat recipe on this site, and pairs well with this amazing verde sauce recipe. Both of these delicious recipes are also Taco Bell copycats, and they're also amazing!
This recipe has three parts, so there are quite a few ingredients, however, if you give it a look, you'll see that most of them are actually spices. In fact, you'll probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen already.
For the Taco Bell Taco Seasoning
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Minced onion
For the Spicy Ranch Sauce
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Garlic powder
- Dried dill weed
- Black pepper
- Onion powder
- Dried parsley
- Kosher Salt
For the Gorditas
- Ground beef
- Hard taco shells
- Gordita flour tortillas
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Diced tomato
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities and cook times.
There are far fewer steps than there are ingredients for this delicious copycat recipe. It only takes a handful of steps to make this super tasty copycat!
Step 1: Make the Taco Seasoning
Make the taco seasoning by combining all of the seasoning ingredients in a bowl until well mixed.
Step 2: Make the Taco Meat
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Then, add the ground beef and break it apart while cooking. About halfway through cooking the beef, stir in the taco seasoning. Remove the cooked beef from the heat and place it in a bowl.
Step 3: Prepare the Gorditas
Lay the gorditas out on a solid work surface and cover each gordita evenly with shredded cheddar cheese. Place them in the oven on a baking sheet and bake until the cheese is melted. Remove them from the oven and place them on a taco stand so they hold the taco shape.
Step 4: Make the Spicy Ranch Sauce
Make the spicy ranch sauce by combining all the ranch ingredients and whisking until well mixed.
Step 5: Put it All Together
Place the hard taco shell inside the gordita. Scoop the taco meat into the center of the hard shell, then top with spicy ranch sauce, shredded lettuce, tomato, and cheese.
Hint: Use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper when melting the cheese on the gorditas to make it easier to transfer them from the pan to the taco stand.
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this cheesy gordita crunch recipe.
- Taco Seasoning - If you don't have the spices to make your own, packaged taco seasoning works.
- Flour Tortillas - If you can't find gorditas, flour tortillas will work. It won't be quite the same, but it will be close.
- Cheese - If you don't have cheddar cheese, Colby Jack or a Mexican blend will work well.
Want to personalize this copycat Taco Bell cheesy gordita crunch recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Spicy - Add red pepper flakes or diced jalapeno to the taco meat for a spicy kick.
- Deluxe - Top your gordita crunch with salsa and guacamole.
- Kid-Friendly - Omit the spicy ranch sauce to make this recipe more palatable to kids.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy these shredded chicken tacos.
It only takes a few simple items to help you make this recipe. You don't need any fancy gadgets, just simple kitchen items.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Pan or skillet
- Wooden bowl
- Wire whisk
- Taco stand
- Cutting board
Once made, the tacos will need to be eaten immediately. However, you can store the taco meat for up to three days in the refrigerator. You can store the ranch sauce in the refrigerator for up to a week. The taco seasoning can be stored for up to a month.
Although this recipe is very easy to make, I have a couple of tips that will help you make it even better and even more easily.
- When cutting your tomato, use an extremely sharp knife so you get diced tomato instead of crushed.
- Use full-fat mayonnaise and sour cream to make the tastiest possible spicy ranch sauce.
More Taco Recipes
Do you like tacos? Here are some recipes you may also like to try
Do you have questions about this copycat Taco Bell cheesy gordita crunch? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this cheesy gordita crunch recipe.
The gorditas should be eaten soon after they're made. However, taco meat will last for about three days. The sauce will last for about a week. The taco seasoning will last for about a month.
I don't recommend it. The shell will get soggy.
To reheat the meat, simply microwave it until hot.
It's a thick, soft corn tortilla.
Absolutely not. It's a Taco Bell copycat, and strictly speaking, nothing at Taco Bell is authentic. It's still good, though!
Taco Bell Cheesy Gordita Crunch
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Cheesy Gordita Crunch Copycat
- 1 lb ground beef
- Hard Taco Shells
- Gordita Flour Tortillas
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 tomato diced
- Copycat Taco Bell Taco Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
Jalapeno Ranch Sauce Ingredients
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375*
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the ground beef and break apart. Once halfway cooked, stir in the taco seasoning. Remove from heat and place into a bowl.
- Lay gorditas out on a rimmed baking sheet. Cover each evenly with shredded cheddar cheese and place into the oven to melt for 4 minutes.
- Prepare the spicy ranch while the cheese is melting. Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Once cheese has melted on the gorditas, remove them from the oven and place onto a taco stand to help hold the shape. Add the hard shell tortilla over the cheese. Scoop taco meat into the center of the hardshell tortilla. Top with spicy ranch, shredded lettuce, tomato, and cheese.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Where did you find your Gordita tortilla shells?
Karin and Ken
I purchased my Gordita’s at Walmart. Hope that helps. Please let me know if it doesn’t. This recipe is delicious. I hope you try it. All the best. Karin
I make my own gorditas already but came here looking for a new spicy ranch recipe and I have to say, this is 10x better than Taco Bell’s.
Karin and Ken
I can't thank you enough for your comment! You made my day and I could not agree more! Do you make your gorditas differently? All the best. Karin