This Potato Green Bean Casserole is full of creamy and cheesy mashed potatoes, green beans, and your favorite ground meat! An easy dinner recipe.
This Potato Green Bean Casserole is one of my husband Ken’s favorite casseroles. I’m sure it is mostly because of the green beans. He cant get enough of them. I believe this casserole was meant to be. Everything goes together perfectly.
We have made this casserole with ground beef, ground pork and ground turkey. Sometimes a mixture of any two. Frankly, I use whatever I have in the house or in my freezer!
I usually use a can of cream of mushroom soup for this recipe but any condensed cream soup will do! You can definitely use your favorite! All of them work great!
This Potato Green Bean Casserole was originally a fabulous way to use up all of our green beans from our garden. Now, I make it all year round! I love these all in one meals or casseroles. Easy to make and easy to clean up!
Ingredients for Potato Green Bean Casserole
- ground meat (beef, turkey, pork, sausage)
- green beans
- cream soup
- crispy fried onions
- shredded cheese
- cream or milk
- parmesan cheese
How to make Potato Green Bean Casserole
Prepare casserole dish with cooking spray.
Boil green beans until bright green. Drain.
Mix soup, soy sauce, crispy fried onions and milk.
Add beans and combine.
Place bean mixture on the bottom of casserole dish.
Brown ground meat with diced onions until cooked and drain.
Put meat mixture on top of beans.
Flatten somewhat with a spatula.
Boil potatoes until tender.
Drain and return to warm pot.
Add butter, milk or cream and parmesan.
Use a hand mixer if possible to blend well.
Use a spoon and spatula to place potatoes on top of ground meat.
Smooth or flatten somewhat again.
Sprinkle shredded cheese and remaining crispy fried onions on top.
Turn oven up to broil for a few minutes until cheese and onions start to brown if desired.
We love casseroles, or all in one meals, around here and I have listed some of our favorites below! I am hoping you find at least one other you would like to try! I can’t wait to hear what you think or did differently!
The Best Casserole Recipes to Try
Below are some of our favorite casseroles that include pasta. Hopefully you have a moment to take a peek at them as well! You never know when you will stumble on to a keeper!
Our Best Pasta Casseroles
Potato Green Bean Casserole Video
Take a moment to have a peek at our video below. I hope you enjoy making this easy weeknight casserole as much as we do!
Potato Green Bean Casserole
- 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch cake pan
- 4 cups green beans, fresh, cut
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 pound ground chicken, ground turkey, ground beef, ground pork, or, ground sausage
- small onion, chopped fine
- ¾ cup crispy fried onions divided
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup cream or ⅓ cup milk
- 3-4 medium-large, russet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 tblsp soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 8x8 casserole dish, or equivalent, with cooking spray.
- Boil green beans for 5 minutes or until bright green. Drain.
- Mix soup, soy sauce, ½ cup of fried onions and milk.
- Add beans and combine.
- Place bean mixture on the bottom of casserole dish.
- Brown ground meat with diced onions until cooked and drain.
- Put meat mixture on top of beans.
- Flatten somewhat with a spatula.
- Boil potatoes for approximately 15 minutes, until tender.
- Drain and return to warm pot.
- Add butter, milk or cream and parmesan.
- Use a hand mixer if possible to almost whip and blend well.
- Use a spoon and spatula to place potatoes on top of ground meat.
- Smooth or flatten somewhat again.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese and remaining French's Fried Onions on top.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Turn oven up to broil until cheese and onions are brown. About 5 minutes. Serve immediately. Enjoy!