Here's a fun appetizer your family and friends will lose their minds over. Pasta chips. Super crunchy, these little morsels go with all our favorite dips. Whether air fryer pasta chips, fried pasta chips or even oven baked pasta chips, they're a delight any time, any where.
This crunchy snack combines two of my favorite foods: pasta and chips. I don’t know about you, but I could sit down and eat an entire bag of chips on my own. These crispy snacks really hit the spot when I am craving a salty snack.
We have family pasta nights a couple times a year. I enjoy this party because everyone shows up with a different type of pasta dish, which helps us all try new recipes.
We eat a lot of pasta in our household, and I am always seeking a new pasta recipe. I get excellent ideas from our family pasta nights.
What are Pasta Chips
Pasta Chips are pasta that has been fried or air fried until they are crispy. The best thing about pasta chips is that you can season them however you desire. The options are endless when you are making your own chips like this.
Fried pasta chips are great for dipping into your favorite dip or make a batch of Italian Nachos. I frequently like to use spinach artichoke dip and luckily I have three recipes to choose from!
Do I use leftover or cook fresh pasta
You can use either. I love using leftover pasta because I’m always cooking more pasta than I need for dinner, and I like to find creative ways to use up leftovers so that my family doesn’t tire of them.
This recipe is the best way to use leftover pasta.
If you do not have leftover pasta on hand, fresh works just as well also. I just caution you to be careful not to overcook your pasta. Overcooked pasta will not turn out well as a chip.
Whether you are using leftover pasta or not, I promise you won’t be able to eat just one of these crunchy appetizers.
How to make my Air Fryer Pasta Chips Crispy
If you want to make sure your air fryer pasta chips get crispy, I have two tips for you to ensure that your air fryer pasta chips turn out nice and crisp.
First, make sure that you coat your pasta in the oil evenly. The oil helps give your chips flavor, but it also helps them become perfectly crispy.
My second tip is to make sure that your pasta is completely dry before cooking them. No matter if you are frying, baking, or air frying the pasta chips, you need to make sure that your leftovers are completely dry so that they can become crispy.
Moist pasta is a crunch killer. Nothing will take the crunch out of pasta faster.
What shape pasta should I use for Fried Pasta Chips
I like to use bowtie pasta for my fried pasta chips. Bowtie pasta really works well to make a crunchy fried pasta chip, and they have the flared edges that will allow for great dipping.
If you are looking for some other shapes to make these delicious chips, I have some suggestions for you below.
- Pizzoccheri - cut into strips
- Lasagna - broken into pieces
- Mafaldine - cut into pieces
- Pappardelle - cut into strips
What kind of dip should I use
The dip options are endless. I have several different dip options that you can find here. I have also included one of my easiest Spinach Artichoke dips below.
Every time I take one of my spinach artichoke dips to a family gathering, people are constantly complimenting me on how great it is and asking for the recipe. So, I thought sharing that recipe along with the baked pasta chips recipe is perfect.
Here are a few other dip ideas or you can simply check out or again, our How to Make Dip post that contains all of our favorites. Lots that taste perfectly with these pasta chips.
- Alfredo sauce
- Marinara sauce
- Simple Seafood Dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Bacon Artichoke Dip
- Other Delicious Dips
How do I store baked pasta chips
Baked pasta chips are best enjoyed right away. Don’t worry, not all is lost if you can’t eat them right away. You can store your leftover pasta chips in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Just be sure to keep them at room temperature and away from moisture. Do not store your leftover pasta chips in the fridge.
Different Ways to season Pasta Chips
These pasta chips can be a blank slate. There are so many different ways that you can flavor them to match the dip that you are serving them with.
- Salt and pepper
- Just salt
- Taco seasoning
- Asian seasoning
- Greek seasoning
- Ranch seasoning
- Italian seasoning
- Everything but the bagel seasoning
Ingredients needed for Pasta Chips
- 2 cups bow tie pasta, or the equivalent
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
How to Make Pasta Chips
Step 1. In a large pot, boil bowtie pasta in salted water in a large pot and cook until al dente. Do not overcook.
Step 2. Drain the pasta. Do not rinse, and let it sit a bit to cool and drain.
Step 3. In the bottom of a large bowl, mix the oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and black pepper.
Step 4. Toss the pasta with the oil until evenly coated.
Air Fryer Pasta Chips
Step 5. Place pasta in the air fryer basket in batches and cook for 5 minutes at 400.
Step 6. Toss the pasta around and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the pasta is golden brown,
Step 7. Repeat with remaining pasta.
Step 8. Cool and serve with your favorite dips.
Pasta Chips without Air Fryer
Oven- After boiling and seasoning the pasta as above, spread the pasta on a baking sheet lined with tin foil or parchment paper, and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Deep fry- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet to 350 degrees. Place pasta in the hot oil for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel. Repeat with remaining pasta.
Ingredients for Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 1 cup thawed, chopped frozen spinach
- 1 (15 ounces) can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
How to make Spinach Artichoke Dip
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2. Drain the chopped spinach and artichoke hearts.
Step 3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, Parmesan, garlic salt, and pepper.
Step 4. Fold in the spinach and artichokes to the cream cheese mixture.
Step 5. Place the dip into an 8×8 baking dish.
Step 6. Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbly.
Step 7. Serve!
Are you making baked pasta chips, air fryer pasta chips, or fried pasta chips? I love them all just the same, though my preferred method is making air fryer chips.
So, no matter which pasta chips you make, grab your favorite dip and enjoy these delicious crunchy snacks. Leave me a comment and let me know which of these crispy chips you made.
More Delicious Recipes
How to Make Pasta Chips in Air Fryer, Deep Fried or Baked Video
How to Make Pasta Chips in Air Fryer, Deep Fried or Baked
- Air Fryer, Baking Sheet or Frying Pan
- Pull out and measure your ingredients.
- Boil bowtie pasta in salted water until al dente. Do not overcook.
- Drain the pasta. Do not rinse. Let it sit a bit to cool and drain.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, mix oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, Italian seasoning and black pepper.
- Toss the pasta with the oil until evenly-coated.
- Place pasta in the air fryer basket in batches and cook for 5 minutes at 400.
- Toss the pasta around.
- Cook for another 3-5 minutes until the pasta is golden-brown.
- Repeat with remaining pasta.
- Cool and serve with your favorite dip or check out our favorite dips.
- After boiling and seasoning the pasta, spread the pasta on a baking sheet lined with tinfoil or parchment paper and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until golden- brown.
Deep fry Directions
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet to 350 degrees. Place pasta in the hot oil for 3-5 minutes until golden-brown. Drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining pasta.
Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain chopped spinach and artichoke hearts.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, Parmesan, garlic salt and pepper. Fold in the spinach and artichokes into the cream cheese mixture.
- Place the dip into a 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy every bite!