These mini Key Lime Pie Bites are truly fabulous! We have used lemon as well, but hands down, if you are a fan of lime, these should be on your bucket list! Refreshing and light, these little bites satisfy every time.
If you are looking for a delicious and easy dessert option these individual key lime pies are perfect for you. They are not only simple to make but also incredibly delightful with a delightful balance of tart and creamy flavors.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Mini key lime pies are a breeze to whip up.
- Small size and delicious taste! These mini pies are an ideal dessert option for little hands and appetites.
- Easy to serve for summer barbecues, potlucks, or other events where you need a refreshing, crowd-pleasing dessert that's also easy to eat.
- Simple to pack up and transport.
- The key lime filling in these pies strikes the perfect balance between refreshing tanginess and rich sweetness.
This recipe requires only a few basic ingredients, so don't feel overwhelmed. A quick trip to the supermarket and you'll be ready to go.
- Graham Crackers: You can buy them already ground or crush your own. You can also use another favorite crushed cookie, pretzel, or shortbread.
- Melted Butter: Works to shape the crust and keep it together.
- Sugar: A little is needed to balance the tart lime flavor in the filling but is also added to sweeten the crust.
- Key Lime Zest and Juice: Use key limes for their tart flavor. You can also experiment with lemon or orange instead.
- Cream Cheese and Sweetened Condensed Milk: Make the filling wonderful creamy and sweet with a tang of cheesecake flavor.
- Instant Vanilla Pudding: Adds flavor and consistency to the filling.
- Unflavored Gelatin: Necessary to create the perfect texture.
- Vanilla Extract: Use pure vanilla extract and not imitation for the best flavor.
See the recipe card below for the exact quantities of each ingredient.
Substitutions and Variations
If you want to switch this recipe up a bit and make it your own, check out this section and give it a try!
- Enhance the flavor of the crust. Add a bit of cinnamon or some finely ground nuts to the crust.
- Swap the lime flavor. Lemons and oranges can be used in this recipe and your pies will taste so good.
- Add some coconut. For more tropical flavor, add a sprinkle of coconut over the top or mix it into the filling.
How to Make Key Lime Bites
Follow these simple steps and you'll be surprised with the end results... So easy to make and even easier to gobble up.
- Crust the graham crackers into fine crumbs using a food processor or resealable bag with a rolling pin.
- Add the sugar and melted butter to the mixture until it looks like wet crumbs.
- Grease your muffin pan and add about one tablespoon of the crumbs to each of the openings.
- Press the crumb mixture into each hole to create individual crusts creating a compact and even layer.
- Bake the crusts until browned around the edges. Set aside and allow them to cool.
- Combine the sugar, zest, cream cheese, condensed milk, vanilla, and vanilla pudding mix in a bowl.
- Use a handheld mixer or stand mixer to blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Combine the gelatin and a quarter cup of lime juice in a small bowl. Heat in microwave for 10 seconds and stir until the gelatin is dissolved. You might need 10 more seconds in the microwave.
- Add the gelatin mixture and remaining lime juice to your large bowl and continue to mix until totally blended together.
- Pour the filling into a large resealable bag and squeeze the mixture towards one of the bottom corners of the bag. Cut the corner off and squeeze the mixture on top of each crust.
- Sprinkle the lime zest on top of each bite. Refrigerate for a few hours, if not overnight.
Hint: Use freshly squeezed Key limes instead of regular limes if you're looking for that unique tangy flavor of Key lime pies.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy these cinnamon toast crunch cheesecake bowls.
Store your mini key lime pies in a suitable airtight container or cover them with plastic wrap and place them in the fridge for up to 3 days or freezer for two months.
It's important to store them in a single layer rather than stacking them on top of each other.
How to Serve Key Lime Pie Bites
When it comes to serving mini key lime pies, presentation is key to making this dessert a family and party favorite.
- Garnish the pies with thin lime slices, a light dusting of powdered sugar, a dollop of whipped cream, and a sprinkle of lime zest for an extra tangy twist.
- Provide small dessert plates and arrange each mini key lime pie in a visually appealing manner or in a unique pattern on a serving platter.
- They're perfect for serving for an afternoon tea, an appetizer party, or adding to a dessert tray.
By following these expert tips, you can create perfect mini pies that are sure to impress your family and friends.
- Use Key limes instead of regular limes for that unique tangy flavor of key lime pies.
- Use freshly squeezed juice instead of store-bought lime juice concentrate.
- Chill these mini lime pies for several hours or even overnight so they are set correctly. The filling will firm up and they will be perfectly chilled for serving.
- Transport them into muffin tins to prevent them from sliding around.
Do you have questions about mini key lime pies? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about them.
Since these pies are small, you can expect each person to enjoy one or two servings without feeling too guilty. They are just the right size to satisfy a sweet craving.
Yes, you can use a store-bought crust if you prefer. Making your own crust from scratch gives you more control over the taste and texture.
Key limes are the traditional choice for this flavor of pie. You can also use regular Persian limes if key limes are unavailable or a combination of lemon and lime juice in your pie recipe. The flavor might be slightly different, but you will still achieve a tangy, citrusy taste that is a characteristic of key lime pie. Just keep in mind that key limes are smaller and often tarter than regular limes.
No special type of muffin tin is required. You can use a standard-sized muffin tin with 12 holes or 24 holes and line it with cupcake liners for easy pie removal. Alternatively, some people prefer using silicone muffin tins for easier release.
More Mini or Bite-Sized Recipes
Do you like bite-sized treats? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Ready to amaze your friends and family? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Mini Key Lime Pie Bites
- bottom of spice jar to flatten graham cracker base
- Resealable bag with corner cut or piping bag
- First you have to prepare the crust. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Prepare your mini muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside. Our pan has 24 holes.
- In a medium sized bowl combine your graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Add melted butter and stir until combined. The mixture should look like wet crumbs.
- Place a spoonful of the crumb mixture into the bottom of each muffin cup. We use the bottom of a glass spice jar to press the crumbs into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until browned around the edges. Allow them to totally cool. Then set aside.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer or using a handheld, combine sugar, zest, cream cheese, condensed milk, vanilla and vanilla pudding mix. Blend until smooth.
- Scrape down sides of your bowl as needed. Combine gelatin and ¼ cup of the lime juice in a small bowl. Then heat it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. You might need 10 more seconds in the microwave.
- Add gelatin mixture and remaining lime juice to your large bowl and continue to mix until totally blended.
- Pour filling into a large resealable bag and squeeze mixture towards one of the bottom corners. Cut corner off. Use bag to squeeze mixture on top of each crust.
- Sprinkle lime zest on top of each bite. Refrigerate for a few hours, if not overnight. Keep cool and serve cool. Enjoy!
This post was originally published January 2017. It's been updated with new images and content.