This copycat Burger King chicken fries recipe is tender and juicy on the inside, golden and crispy on the outside, and even better than the original. They’re air-fried, so they’re far healthier, as well.
I love the chicken fries from Burger King, but they are definitely not good for me – or anyone, for that matter. I decided to make my own healthy copycat version using the air fryer, and what I came up with is even better than what I get there!
Burger King Chicken Fries Recipe
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make these delicious breaded chicken fries. You’ll find everything at your local grocery store with no issues.
For the Chicken Fries
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Crumb mixture
For the Crumb Mixture
- Dry bread crumbs
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried celery leaves
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities.
Making these chicken fries is as easy as gathering the ingredients. It takes minimal effort, and even beginners can make them.
Step 1: Prep
Measure out all of your ingredients and prep the chicken breasts.
To prep the chicken, butterfly the breasts down the middle to separate the breast halves. Then, cut them into the shape of chicken fries using either a knife or meat scissor.
Step 2: Make the Crumb Mixture
Using a food processor, blend all of the bread crumb mixture ingredients together in a food processor until smooth and uniform.
Step 3: Prepare the Coating Station
Place the flour and bread crumb mixture into two different resealable bags. Then lightly beat the egg and water in a shallow bowl.
Step 4: Bread the Chicken Fries
Shake about four chicken fries at a time in the bag of flour to coat thoroughly. Then, shake off the excess flour and dip the fries in the egg mixture. Finally, shake off the excess and shake the chicken fries in the bag of bread crumb mixture.
Step 5: Air Fry
Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees and spray the basket thoroughly with nonstick spray. Cook the chicken fries for 7 to 12 minutes depending on the size, flipping halfway through cooking.
Hint: Always preheat your air fryer for best results. People claim you don’t need to, but it makes a difference.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this Burger King Chicken Fries recipe.
- Panko – If you don’t have bread crumbs, panko works very well.
- Celery Salt – If you don’t have dried celery leaves, add celery salt and omit extra salt instead.
- Basil – Use oregano or thyme instead if you prefer
Want to personalize this Burger King chicken fries recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Spicy – Add cayenne or red pepper flakes to the coating for a spicy kick.
- Kid-Friendly – Omit the black pepper to keep things mild for the kiddos.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this Captain Crunch chicken.
You only need a few basic kitchen staples to make this recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Resealable bags
- Air fryer
You can store these chicken fries in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days, although I recommend only making as many as you will eat in one sitting.
Although this is a simple recipe to make, there are still a few things to know to ensure you make the best chicken fries possible.
- Always preheat your air fryer and throughly coat your basket with cooking spray.
- Be sure to tap off the excess dry and wet ingredients when coating your chicken.
- Flip your chicken fries over halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking and crisping.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Do you like using the air fryer? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Do you have questions about Burger King chicken fries? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this Burger King chicken fries recipe.
Yes, they are. They’re made with strips of white meat chicken.
Absolutely not. They are loaded with salt, and the breading is very heavy. My copycat version is a healthier choice.
You can store them in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days, but I recommend only making as many as will be eaten in one setting.
Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking to help both sides crisp up as much as possible.
Burger King Chicken Fries
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Burger King Chicken Fries
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless skinless
- ½ cup bread crumb mixture
- ½ cup flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon basil dried
- ½ teaspoon celery leaves dried
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- Blend breading ingredients with food processor first so crumbs are smooth if possible. You'll be so glad you did it. The coating on the chicken fries is a little bit nicer.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts. Then cut them down the middle to separate the breast halves.
- Next cut into the shape of chicken fries with meat scissors or a knife.
- Put flour and crumbs into separate resealable plastic bags.
- Lightly beat the egg with one tablespoon water. Shake four chicken fries at a time in the flour, shake off the excess, dip in egg wash.
- Shake off the excess, then shake in crumbs.
- Prepare basket with cooking spray and air fry at 350 degrees for 7-12 minutes.
- Exact timing will depend on exact size of your chicken fries. Try to include chicken fries that are the same size in each batch you make so they cook evenly .
- Enjoy every bite.