Need a new quick bread recipe? You're going to love this easy and delicious rhubarb bread recipe. Whether you make one loaf or two of rhubarb quick bread or strawberry rhubarb bread you won't be disappointed.
Every year I am so excited for rhubarb season. I always have some in my freezer and it's so easy to add it to easy recipes throughout the year.
This rhubarb bead was inspired by this blueberry rhubarb pie recipe and pairs well with a salted caramel milkshake or caramel apple milkshake.
Why You Will Love This Rhubarb Loaf Cake
- Incredibly easy to make with minimal preparation time using simple ingredients.
- You'll love the crumble topping.
- It freezes beautifully!
- Great for sharing with others.
- Easy enough to make with kids or novice bakers.
- Delightful aroma fills your home while baking.
Basic ingredients are all that's needed to make this amazing rhubarb bread recipe.
- Sugar: Regular granulated sugar lightly sweetens the bread.
- Butter: Baking with unsalted butter gives you more control over
- Eggs: Adds structure and flavor to the quick bread.
- Baking soda: Helps the bread to rise and cook up fluffier.
- Milk: Adds liquid to the cake batter and also adds richness to the flavor.
- Vanilla extract: Use pure vanilla extract for the BEST flavor!
- All-purpose flour: Use a quality flour for best results.
- Rhubarb: Look for fresh rhubarb in the markets in the spring time. This recipe works with frozen too but we think fresh tastes best.
- Pecans: Pairs perfectly with the rhubarb and gives the bread a little crunch.
- Cinnamon: A little bit of spice to add to the crumble topping.
See the recipe card below for the full list and exact quantities of each.
Substitutions and Variations
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand to make this delicious quick bread? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this recipe for rhubarb quick bread.
- Go Nuts: Swap the pecans and use hazelnuts, almonds, or walnuts instead.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla is a universal crowd-pleaser, but feel free add a half a teaspoon of your another flavor such as almond, coconut, lemon, maple, orange, or rum extract instead.
- Granulated Sugar: For a moister cake with more depth of flavor you can use brown sugar instead.
- Spices: Add nutmeg, cloves, or allspice along with the cinnamon or swap it out for pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice instead.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Bread : Use one cup diced rhubarb and one cup chopped strawberries to make this version.
How to Make Rhubarb Bread with Streusel Topping
This is the easiest bread to make. Here's an overview of the main steps but be sure to check the recipe card for the detailed instructions before cooking.
- Beat together the sugar and butter until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, baking soda, salt, milk, and vanilla to the bowl and beat again.
- Add the flour to the butter and sugar mixture and beat until the batter is smooth.
- Add the rhubarb and pecans and fold into the batter.
- Transfer the blended batter to a prepared loaf pan.
- Mix together the melted butter, sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl until it's crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly over the batter.
- Bake the rhubarb quick bread for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. You'll love the way your home smells while this bread bakes.
Hint: You will be able to tell when the bread is done when it's golden brown on top and it bounces back slightly when pressed in the center.
If you love recipes like this quick bread, you may also enjoy our zucchini muffins with cream cheese frosting or zucchini bread recipe filled with cream cheese.
Here are the best ways to store homemade rhubarb quick bread.
- On the Counter: Be sure to wrap it well and store it at room temperature for up to three days.
- Refrigerator: After cooling completely, wrap the loaves in plastic wrap or store them in a sealed container to keep it fresh for up to four days.
- In the Freezer: Store sliced or whole in a resealable plastic bag for up to two months. When you are ready to eat it, allow it to thaw at room temperature. Enjoy it as is or warm it up a bit before serving.
- Reheat: Prefer to eat leftovers warmed up? Reheat your rhubarb loaf cake in the oven, microwave or toaster. If using the oven, wrap the cake in foil and heat at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until they are warmed through.
What to Serve with Rhubarb Quick Bread
- This homemade quick bread is delicious served warm with a dollop of butter, pecan honey butter, vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream
- Drizzle the top with some caramel sauce or rhubarb sauce.
- Spread slices with some rhubarb jam, strawberry jalapeno jam, or mango jam.
- Serve with baked apples or sauteed apples.
- Use fresh rhubarb for best results but frozen works great too.
- Avoid overmixing the batter or your cake will end up tough.
- Grease loaf pans thoroughly with butter or cooking spray so the bread releases easily from the pan.
- Allow the bread to cool before slicing and serving.
- The bread is cooked when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The top of the loaf will be golden brown and also bounce back slightly when pressed.
Do you have questions about this recipe for rhubarb loaf cake? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about it.
Yes, you can add fruit, like strawberries, to make strawberry rhubarb bread. Replace half of the rhubarb in this recipe with strawberries.
Yes, you can! Add batter to regular sized muffin tins instead. Reduce the cooking time to 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each muffin comes out clean or lightly browned on top and bounces back slightly when touched.
This recipe will make two loaves of bread.
More Rhubarb Recipes
Do you like rhubarb? Here some recipes you may also like to try.
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Quick and Easy Rhubarb Bread
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cups butter or 1 oz softened and divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rhubarb diced
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 1 cup sugar and 8 oz butter until creamy.
- Add eggs, baking soda, salt, milk, and vanilla. Beat again.
- Add 2 cups flour and beat until batter is smooth.
- Stir in rhubarb and pecans.
- Transfer batter to a greased bread pan or pans if making both loaves at same time.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter, sugar, flour, and cinnamon. The consistency will be a crumble.
- Sprinkle crumble evenly over batter.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Use fresh rhubarb for best results but frozen works great too. Avoid overmixing the batter or your cake will end up tough. Grease loaf pans thoroughly with butter or cooking spray so the bread releases easily from the pan. Allow the bread to cool before slicing and serving. The rhubarb quick bread is cooked when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The top of the loaf will be golden brown and also bounce back slightly when pressed.
Leave a Reply