Pollo Fundido is full of tender shredded chicken, smooth cream cheese, spicy chilis, and more. All wrapped up in a flour tortilla and covered in delicious cheese sauce, this is a Tex-Mex feast at its finest. Makes the perfect weekend meal and is a fabulous dish to add to your next Taco Tuesday.
If you’re looking to expand your Mexican food library, then add this Pollo Fundido recipe to the list. Pollo Fundido puts the FUN back into mealtime. Whenever I make this for my family, they they don’t just eat it. They inhale it!
And it’s not only my family that devours these Pollo Fundidos. I’ve hosted a few Saturday night Taco Tuesday parties and with all the delicious items to choose from, Pollo Fundidos seem to be the most popular and the first to go.
Pollo Fundido Recipe
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make fabulous Pollo Fundidos. These items are easily found at your local grocery store, so you won’t have any difficulty tracking them down.
For the Burritos
- Shredded chicken
- Taco seasoning
- Cream cheese
- Flour tortillas
For the Fundido Sauce:
- Cream cheese
- Velveeta or American cheese
- diced green chilis
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Sliced jalapeno
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities and cooking times.
Following this recipe is as straightforward as shopping for the ingredients. It’s an incredibly simple recipe that comes together quickly. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven and spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Step 2: Prepare the Chicken
Combine the chicken, taco seasoning, and cream cheese in a mixing bowl and mix well.
Step 3: Make the Fundido Sauce
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the cream cheese, Velveeta, milk, green chilis, garlic powder, and onion powder. Microwave for one minute and stir until smooth. If the cheese isn’t melted, continue to microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the cheese is melted.
Step 4: Fill the Burritos
Microwave the tortillas for 20 seconds, then split the filling equally between the tortillas. Fold the sides in, then roll up the burritos.
Step 5: Bake
Place the burritos seam side down on the pan and bake until the tortillas are lightly browned and crispy. Remove from the oven and cover the burritos with cheese sauce. Add sliced jalapenos if desired.
Hint: Make the cheese sauce before filling the burritos. That way, the tortillas will be warm when going into the oven.
Don’t have the exact ingredients or want to change it up? Here are a couple of helpful tips that will slightly alter this Pollo Fundido recipe.
- Tortillas – Regular tortillas are not a must. Use any sort of tortilla you like. Vegetable, whole wheat, or gluten-free tortillas will all work well.
- Minced garlic and onion – If you don’t have onion and garlic powder, feel free to use dried minced onion and garlic instead. The flavor will not be lost.
Want to personalize this Pollo Fundido recipe? To make it your own, here are a couple of changes I made:
- Spicy – Add diced jalapenos to the filling for an extra spicy kick.
- Extra Cheese – If you love cheese, add more cheddar or a shredded Mexican cheese blend to the filling.
If you love this Mexican dish, then you may also want to try cheesy burger burritos.
Not much is needed in the way of equipment to put this recipe together. A few simple pieces of kitchenware will do it.
- Mixing bowl
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Cookie sheet
Store these in the refrigerator, without the cheese sauce topping, for up to five days in an air-tight, freezer-safe container. For longer storage, these burritos can be frozen for up to three months. Again, not with the cheese topping.
This is an extremely simple recipe to follow, but I have some tips that will make it safer and even easier. Have a look.
- When cutting jalapenos, be sure and wear gloves. NEVER touch your eyes!
- For convenience and to make life easier, buy a rotisserie chicken and shred that.
- Remember, heating tortillas makes them easier to fold.
More Mexican Recipes Recipes
In keeping with the Mexican-inspired theme, here are some recipes you may also want to try:
If you have any questions about this Pollo Fundido recipe, here are the most commonly-asked questions and answers:
These burritos will last for up to five days in the refrigerator or up to three months in the freezer.
Place the burritos, without the cheese sauce, in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or in heavy-duty freezer bags.
Microwave the burritos for a minute on each side until they’re thawed. Then, finish them off in a toaster oven or place them in a skillet and cook until they’re slightly crisp.
Shred the chicken while it’s still warm. And the easiest and quickest way to do it, is by using two forks or two shredding tools.
Pollo Fundido Video
Ready to get cooking? Remember, you can always print this recipe if you like.
- 3 cups chicken cooked and shredded, rotisserie is great
- 1 ounce taco seasoning
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 6-8 burrito-size flour tortillas
- Fundido Sauce:
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese or American
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons diced green chilis to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 jalapeno sliced, optional
- Pull out and measure the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 400° and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine the chicken, taco seasoning and the cream cheese in a bowl until well combined. Heat the tortillas for 20 seconds in the microwave.
- Split the filling between the tortillas
- Then fold one side over.
- Fold each of the sides in.
- Use spoon to assist if needed.
- Roll up the burritos.
- Place seam side down on the pan and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the tortillas are lightly-browned and crispy.
- Remove from the oven. Just before serving, pour cheese sauce over the burritos. Top with sliced jalapeños if desired.
- Fundido Sauce:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the cream cheese, Velveeta, milk, green chilis, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Place in the microwave and heat for 1 minute. Stir until melted and smooth. You may need to continue heating for 30 second intervals until the cheese is thoroughly melted and combined.
Taco seasoning – any
Flour tortillas – large burrito-size
Cream cheese – regular or low fat
Velveeta cheese – or American cheese
Milk – whole, 2% or 1%
Diced green chilis – canned
Jalapeno, optional Tips: Rotisserie chicken is a quick and convenient way of making this easy meal. But you can cook your own chicken. Breast or thighs if you wish.
If you wish, double the filling and make the burritos even fuller. Storage: Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Recipe: Prep Time: 20 minutes
Oven Temp: 400°
Bake Time: 15-20 minutes