This homemade strawberry pop tarts recipe delivers all the goodness we love about storebought Pop Tarts in an even better form. Crispy, flaky pastry surrounds a delicious, sweet strawberry filling.
I love Pop Tarts. I also love making my own versions of my favorite foods whenever possible. That's just what I did with this recipe, and I think it's even better than the original.
Strawberry Pop Tart Recipe
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. You'll find them all easily at your local grocery.
- Pre-made pie crusts
- Strawberry jelly
- Powdered sugar
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities.
In just a few minutes and a few steps, you'll have the most delicious Pop Tarts you've ever eaten.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Then line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the pie crusts out on a nonstick surface.
Step 2: Cut the Pie Crust
Cut the pie crust into 3-inch by 5-inch rectangles using a pizza cutter, and place 8 of the prepared rectangles onto the baking sheet.
Step 3: Construct the Pop Tarts
Spoon the strawberry jelly onto each rectangle leaving a ½-inch space around the edges. Then, place the other 8 prepared rectangles on top of the base. Using a fork, flute the edges to seal. Whisk the egg in a small bowl and brush onto the top of the Pop Tarts.
Step 4: Bake
Bake the Pop Tarts for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Place them on a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
Step 5: Make the Icing
In small bowl, mix the powdered sugar and milk together. Adjust the icing as needed, adding milk if the icing is too thick or powdered sugar if it's too thin.
Step 6: Top the Pop Tarts
Drizzle the icing on the Pop Tarts and then add sprinkles. Enjoy!
Hint: Wet your finger and slide it across the edges of the pie crust to help seal the Pop Tarts if you'd like.
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this homemade strawberry Pop Tarts recipe.
- Puff Pastry - If you don't have pie crusts, you can use puff pastry. The texture will be different but still delicious.
- Cream - You can use cream in place of milk for the icing.
Want to personalize this homemade strawberry Pop Tarts recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Other Jam - You can use any of your favorite jams to make this into any variety of fruit Pop Tarts.
- Chocolate - Fill the Pop Tarts with chocolate ganache.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy these easy cream puffs.
You'll only need a few basic pieces of kitchen equipment to make these Pop Tarts.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
Store these in an air-tight container at room temperature for 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
This is a very easy recipe, but even easy recipes have little tips to make them better. Read on for mine.
- Always leave about ½ an inch of space around the edges so you can close the Pop Tarts with no mess.
- Let your Pop Tarts cool to room temperature so the icing will stick to them.
Do you have questions about homemade strawberry Pop Tarts? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this homemade strawberry Pop Tarts recipe.
They'll last for 3 days at room temperature or 6 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer, cover with cling wrap and freeze. Then, transfer them to an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
More Strawberry Recipes
Do you like strawberries? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Prepare a large baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Lay pie crusts on a nonstick surface.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut 3” x 5” rectangles.
- Place the first 8 on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon your fruit jelly onto each rectangle.
- Spread jam to about ½ inch from the edges.
- Place the next 8 rectangles on top.
- Using a fork, seal all four edges of each pop tart.
- Pierce center area three times to vent baking pop tarts.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and brush it on all 8 pop tarts.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Allow pop tarts to cool prior to icing them.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar and milk. If it is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add more milk.
- Drizzle frosting over top of pop tarts.
- Add sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy every bite!