Easy Chocolate Chex Mix is the ultimate, easy, crispy, droolworthy, snack or dessert. Perfect for that special someone, any time of the year!
Chex Mix with Melted Chocolate
This recipe is so versatile and you have so many options. Choose your favorite ingredients. Don't forget the pretzels and the salt they bring to this sweet treat. You'll have a different tasty result, every time. This recipe is no bake and all you need is a microwave. Easy Peasy.
This snack is super easy to make and store. The chocolate melts really well and hardens and/or dries so fast. You don't have to keep it in the fridge!
This recipe takes little time to prepare and requires minimal cleanup. We all need recipes like this to take to potlucks, parties or serve to unexpected visitors!
I usually prepare my Valentine's Chocolate Chex Mix the day before I need or want it. This would be great except for the fact that I eat it all...no joke.....I end up having to make a double batch.
This is terrible. I even have a hard time not eating the little bits and pieces when I'm taking photos! This stuff is really that good!
When it's ready to eat I put some in a small bowl and try to show self restraint. I even cross the room to get away from this tempting treat.
The Original Chex Mix
Chex breakfast cereal debuted in 1937 and is still sold by General Mills to this day. If you want to know more about the history of this wonderful cereal, have a look here.
Chex Mix is a snack mix that includes Chex breakfast cereal, among other things. There are commercially sold varieties of Chex Mix, as well as many recipes for homemade Chex Mix on the internet.
The Original Chex Party Mix recipe includes Corn Chex cereal, Rice Chex cereal, Wheat Chex cereal, mixed nuts, bite-size pretzels, bite-sized or regular sized broken bagel chips, and a variety of seasonings to bring out the flavor of sweet and salty.
This snack is generally known as Nuts & Bolts, particularly outside the United States.
White Chocolate Chex Mix Recipe
I love White Chocolate Chex Mix, especially around the holidays. Crunchy, with a little bit of sweet and salty...so delicious. This sweet Chex Mix with white chocolate and sprinkles is the perfect treat! Seriously, anything with white chocolate is the perfect treat. Check out below for some variations of the chocolate Chex mix.
Christmas Chex Mix
Chex Mix is so popular over Christmas and the rest of the holidays. Made and decorated with the traditional red and green associated with Christmas. I can assure you that I have lots of it out for my guests to enjoy at parties and gatherings. It is also makes an excellent edible gift.
Ingredients in Easy Chocolate Chex Mix
- 4 cups Chex cereal (remember that rice and corn are both gluten free but all varieties will work)
- pink candy melts or white chocolate
- conversation hearts or whichever seasonal decorations you are using
- sprinkles or sparkles of your choice
How to make Easy Chocolate Chex Mix
Heat your candy melts up by heating a pot with 1 to 2 inches in it over low. Place a glass or metal bowl in the pot with your candy melts. Stir frequently until melted.
Pour Chex into a large bowl, followed by your pink candy melts or white chocolate, and turn/mix gently until evenly coated. You can use your hands if you are having trouble getting it coated.
Pour mixture out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment, and spread out into a single layer. Let sit for an hour to dry.
Once dry, grab/break up any pieces that have stuck together, and then add M&M’s, sprinkles, and cdecorations on top. Toss again to blend, and serve/enjoy as desired.
Can you make Gluten Free Valentine's Chocolate Chex Mix?
Making this wonderful snack gluten free is super easy for all of you that need or prefer a gluten free. Just use rice and/or corn Chex Cereal and purchase gluten free pretzels. My niece has Celiac disease, is unable to tolerate any gluten and this is her favorite sweet snack!
Snack Mix Recipes
Christmas Crack, Muddy Buddies, Puppy Chow and White Trash are all different, common names associated with chocolate coated Chex cereal, in one form or another.
Some require dark chocolate or almond bark, some white chocolate, some are covered in icing or powdered sugar.
If I decide to go with regular, white chocolate Chex mix, I use approximately 2 cups or one 11 oz. bag of white chocolate chips and 4 cups of Chex cereal. Sometimes I will add in some popcorn or a mixture of cereals but I always keep the total amount to 4 cups.
I then pick whatever options I want to include Usually between ¼ and ½ cup of each, and I always include mini pretzels because of the wonderful flavor the salt always adds to the mixture.
Sometimes, but not always, after all of the cereal has been coated in white chocolate, I will immediately dump all of the coated cereal into an extra large resealable bag with 1 cup of icing or powdered sugar and rigorously shake the chex mix bag until the sugar is absorbed into the cereal.
Then, last but not least, I add the extra treats to the bag and shake it around. Pour contents onto a rimmed baking sheet and allow all of it to set for at least 15 minutes, ideally 2 hours, and you are ready to go.
This may seem like a long 15 minutes but you must allow the snack mix to dry completely before sealing it into an airtight container.
How do you store the Best Chocolate Chex Mix
- Usually there are no leftovers and we have been making this recipe for so many years. However, if there is any leftover, I strongly recommend keeping all of it in an airtight container
- If the airtight container is kept at room temperature, it will keep for a week even though this snack is best eaten within 4 days and in the fridge within about 1 week
- You can freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months but even if thawed at room temperature I find that the consistency or texture changes with the freezing process
- The white chocolate helps keep the snack mix from getting old and stale
- Mix will start to melt if left out in the sun or heat
DIY Food Gift Ideas
A reasonably priced or inexpensive addictive treat, suitable for neighbors, teachers, friends and family! Easily made by adults and children alike, this is something you can have great time with.
You can truly have so much fun making this treat. Kids have lots of fun deciding the treats they want to include and actually making it.
All you may need is a cup or container of some kind and/or some cellophane wrap and some ribbon. I have filled a cup with the Chex Mix and placed it on top of a square cut piece of cellophane, lifted and gathered all of the cellophane together and tied it up with ribbon, similar to below.
Super easy to add a tag to your bag and your edible gift is ready to go!
I have listed some ingredient choices below but I believe you won't have much difficulty finding some of your own favorite treats to include! I would love to hear what you include in the comments so I can add too this list!
Snack Mix Flavors
The wonderful thing about this Valentine's Chocolate Chex Mix is that you can make it in all sorts of flavors. These include, but are not limited to extracts in the following flavors:
Snack Mix Options Include
- nuts like peanuts, almonds, cashews or coconut
- other breakfast cereals like Cheerios, Crispix, Cap'n Crunch or Shreddies
- M&Ms of all kinds
- bite sized pretzels, I find the sticks make eating a challenge at times
- toffee or caramel bits
- malt balls
- extra sea salt
- mini or sliced chocolate candy bars like Snickers, Kit Kat or Oh Henry
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups or Reese's Pieces
- sprinkles or sparkles
- Any other candy you desire!
Don't forget about adjusting treat colors to suit particular holidays. For example if you were making this for Christmas you might want to seek out sprinkles or candies that are green, red and white.
This snack or dessert is a lot of fun to make and amazing to eat so make sure you have some fun with it.
Other Favorite Desserts to Try
Easy Chocolate Chex Mix Video
Easy Chocolate Chex Mix
- 4 cups Chex cereal, your favorite variety rice or corn are gluten free
- 2 cups pink candy melts
- 1 cup M&M’s
- 1 cup conversation hearts
- sprinkles of your choice
- Take a pot and fill it with 1 or 2 inches of water and heat over low temperature. Place a glass or metal bowl inside the pot and fill it with candy melts. Stir frequently until a smooth and creamy texture is achieved.
- Pour Chex into a large bowl, followed by your melted pink candy, and turn/mix gently until evenly coated. You can use your hands if you are having trouble.
- Pour mixture out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment, and spread out into a single layer. Let sit for an hour to dry.
- Once dry, grab/break up any pieces that have stuck together, and then add M&M’s, sprinkles, and conversation hearts on top.
- Toss again to blend, and serve/enjoy as desired.
- To switch things up please have a look at our Chocolate Cake Chex Mix that is a little different and just as delicious!