Are you ready to make this a Valentine’s Day to remember? These Valentine’s Day Strawberry Hot Cocoa Bombs are going to make you fall in love all over again. Hot cocoa chocolate bombs are not only beautiful, but they’re also delicious as well! Read on to learn how to make hot cocoa bombs.
Hot cocoa chocolate bombs are popular for a reason. They’re fun, delicious, and take a cup of traditional hot chocolate to a whole other level. If you’re looking for fun hot drinks for Valentine’s Day, you can’t go wrong with this one. This Valentine’s Day recipe is pure celebration. They have become EXTREMELY popular, and for good reason. Hot pink candy melts, pink candy melts, white candy melts and mini marshmallows, need I say more? They’re super fun to make, super fun to drink, and super fun to enjoy over and over again.
And since these hot cocoa bombs are heart-shaped, they’re literally perfect for Valentine’s Day fun! Make this sweet treat with your sweeties or whip them up as a fun Galentine’s Day treat for yourself! (It also makes a great gift to give to others.)
Valentine’s Day Strawberry Hot Cocoa Bombs
If you’re new to the world of hot chocolate bombs, let me be the first to say welcome. I can assure you that once you make and experience them, you’re never going to want a cup of cocoa any other way.
This treat will literally ruin basic hot chocolate for you, in the best possible way.
Being able to make these amazing and simple hot cocoa chocolate bombs at home will make you feel like quite the chef or baker! In fact, if you gift these homemade cocoa bombs to someone else, they’re going to be amazed that you made these all by yourself!
And if you’re on the fence about making these fun hot cocoa additions, allow me to push you towards giving it a shot. Jump down to the recipe, follow my instructions on how to make hot cocoa bombs, and give it a taste. Trust me, they’re worth it!
How do you use cocoa bombs?
Hot cocoa chocolate bombs are quite like magic. When you pour warm milk over them they literally burst open to reveal hot cocoa mix and marshmallows. It’s theatre, it’s drama, and it’s pure joy. Once you make your own DIY hot cocoa bombs, you can either drop one in your glass with warm milk or you can place one in the bottom of your mug and then pour the hot milk right over top.
Once the hot liquid touches the chocolate they will melt away the chocolate coating and all the goodies and mixture on the inside come out. Then you just stir and sip!
How long are cocoa bombs good for?
As long as you store them properly, hot cocoa chocolate bombs should last easily for a couple of weeks. Storing them in an airtight container in the fridge is an easy way to keep them as fresh as possible.
Do hot chocolate bombs need to be refrigerated?
They don’t have to be refrigerated, but I like to keep them in the fridge just because. As long as you’re storing them in a room with a stable temperature, they should be fine to be stored outside of the fridge as well.
How long should you heat milk for hot chocolate?
The key to melting the cocoa bombs is to heat up your milk so that it’s hot enough to melt the chocolate. Putting about eight ounces of milk into a mug and heating it in the microwave for about 40-45 seconds should put it at just the right temperature to melt the chocolate bomb easily.
How much does it cost to make hot cocoa bombs?
Making homemade cocoa bombs hot chocolate is so much cheaper than buying them from the store! Not only can you make several at once but you’ll find that buying one of these from the store will cost you as much as $5/each.
Once you purchase the silicone mold to make these Valentine’s Day strawberry hot cocoa bombs, it’s easy to use over and over again. This will help the initial investment not feel as much knowing that it’s not something that you use once and are done with.
Who invented hot cocoa bombs?
Hot cocoa chocolate bombs are actually quite new! They started in New Jersey in 2020 and gained viral popularity on TikTok. Since then they’ve taken off and are super popular without any sign of losing steam!
Want to see the trend in action? Here’s a great example of just how exciting this fun treat is.
Ingredients Needed To Make Heart-Shaped Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Hot pink candy melts
- Pink candy melts
- White candy melts
- Mini marshmallows
- Hot chocolate or hot cocoa powder
- Pink sanding sugar, optional
- Pink and purple sprinkles, optional
- Silicone geometric heart mold
Tips To Keep In Mind For The Ingredient List
- Hot pink, pink and white candy melts—Candy melts are incredibly easy to melt and remelt making them ideal for anyone to use to make these hot cocoa bombs.
- Mini marshmallows
- Strawberry hot chocolate powder—I used Nesquik since it is my favorite as well as the only strawberry hot chocolate powder available to me. However, any brand will work so go for your favorite.
- Sanding sugar and sprinkles—Pink sanding sugar and sprinkles just add to the glamour of these cocoa bombs. However if you do not like sprinkles or have an allergy to them, feel free to leave them out.
What is the texture of these hot cocoa bombs?
The candy melts used to make these are like smooth chocolate and melt quickly in warm milk or water allowing the hot chocolate mix, marshmallows, and sprinkles to be released. Once the candy has melted and the hot cocoa mix is emulsified into the milk, it creates a warm and smooth hot chocolate.
Fun Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipe Variations
Even though you might be using heart molds for this hot choc bomb, you can change the molds up for other holidays, too.
Here are a few ways you can switch up your Valentine’s Day strawberry hot cocoa bombs to make them for any occasion!
- Changing up the colors of the chocolate melts and sprinkles to match the holiday or season is a great way to customize your hot cocoa chocolate bombs
- Swapping out marshmallow flavors allows you to change from strawberry to anything you’re craving
- You can also add in fun candy surprises for a little extra entertainment. Just make sure they’ll melt in the warm milk
One of the best ways you can create fun variations in this recipe is by changing up the taste and flavor every single time that you make them! If you’re looking at customizing I suggest starting with my basic hot chocolate bombs recipe, with or without alcohol.
How to Make Hot Cocoa Bombs
There are a few steps to making these sweet treats but if you follow the instructions you won’t go wrong.
After you gather your ingredients you melt your colored candy melts, then drizzle the melted chocolate into your silicone mold, spreading it evenly.
Once hardened, remove the chocolate from the molds and pair up.
Place hot chocolate powder, marshmallows and sprinkles in one half.
Warm up the edges of your hot cocoa bomb shells and match the halves together.
If you’re planning on giving these out as gifts, all you need is a cute gift box to put them in. You can fit two or three into a box, and you’ve got a really beautiful (and delicious) gift. Pair them with a cute Valentine’s Day mug to really complete the gift.
Why do we give gifts on Valentine’s Day?
February 14 has been a lover’s holiday for hundreds of years, so even though you hear people complaining that it’s a made-up holiday created by greeting card companies, that’s not exactly true!
Back in simpler times, lovers would exchange roses on Valentine’s Day to demonstrate their fondness for each other. Why roses? They represent love of all forms and is the favorite flower of the ancient Roman goddess of love, Venus.
Once the postal service came into vogue, sometime in the 18th century, people began exchanging Valentine’s Day cards with great enthusiasm and these days more than 600,000,000 (that’s six hundred MILLION) cards are exchanged worldwide each year.
Was this trend inspired by clever marketing? Who can really say. But I’m thankful that chocolate became a popular gift on this occasion, and hope you are too!
And while there’s no actual evidence to show that chocolate works as an aphrodisiac, it certainly can’t hurt to offer your sweetie a sweet chocolate treat.
More Fun Valentine’s Day desserts:
- 1 cup hot pink candy melts
- 1 cup pink candy melts
- 1 cup white candy melts
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup hot chocolate or hot cocoa powder
- Pink sanding sugar optional
- Pink and purple sprinkles optional
- Silicone geometric heart mold
- Get out and measure all of your ingredients.
- In three separate, small sized, microwave safe bowls, melt hot pink, pink and white candy melts in 30 second increments, stirring in between.
- Once melted, drizzle some white candy melt into the bottom of your silicone mold. Next, spoon some pink and hot pink candy melt into each mold, enough to fill the mold ½ full and spread it around the mold as evenly as possible. If you would like to be extra creative and fun with it, alternately mix and add candy melt colors then use your spoon to lightly swirl the colors together to create a marbled effect. Be sure there is enough candy melt in each mold to thickly cover all sides so there are no thin spots.
- Let set until hardened, about 10 minutes. If the top edge of the heart feels thin or delicate, spread just a little more of the candy melt to reinforce it and let set until hardened.
- Gently remove the hearts from the mold.
- In 8 of the heart halves, place 2 Tbs of hot chocolate powder.
- Several mini marshmallows.
- Also some sprinkles for extra fun.
- Warm a small plate in the microwave. Place the opposing,empty half of the heart on the plate for 3-5 seconds to let the edges melt.
- Match the empty half with the filled half and gently press them together.
- Complete with all of your hearts
- Run a clean finger along the seam to smooth it out. If the halves don’t stay together, you can warm a metal butter knife by running it under hot water then run the warm knife over the edge of the filled half while the empty half is on the plate.
- Once all of the hot cocoa bombs are together, serve and enjoy or package and give away!
- To make hot cocoa, simply warm 6 oz of milk and place hot cocoa bomb into a mug with warmed milk and stir!
- For extra pizzazz, sprinkle extra marshmallows on top of prepared hot cocoa and
- Sprinkle with more sanding sugar, whipped cream and colored sprinkles if desired!
- Stir, serve and enjoy every drop!
Are you ready to have some fun? I can’t wait to hear about your upgraded hot chocolate stories. Please do let me know in the comments how this worked for you, and ways you found to make it extra sweet and special for you and your loved ones. Happy Valentine’s Day!