This creole smoked potato salad may look like the classic, but don’t let it fool you. Loaded with delicious creole flavors and a healthy dose of smoke, this is one potato salad recipe you’ll want to make again and again!
I love to make potato salad, but after years of doing it the old-fashioned way, I started to get bored. I decided to give it a makeover with delicious remoulade and a trip to my husband’s smoker, and the results were amazing.
Creole Potato Salad
This was inspired by my smoked sweet potato recipe on this site, and pairs well with these smoked beef ribs. The combination of this smoked potato salad and the smoky goodness of the ribs makes for a delicious twist on a classic pairing.
There are several ingredients to this recipe, as you’ll be making a remoulade to go with the potato salad. However, all of these ingredients are readily available at your grocery store, and many of them are kitchen staples, as well.
For the Potato Salad
- Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch chunks
- White wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Hard boiled eggs, chopped
- Finely chopped celery
- Finely chopped bell pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
For the Dressing
- Drained and chopped cornichons
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Prepared horseradish
- Spicy brown mustard
- Lemon juice
- Minced garlic cloves
- Worcestershire sauce
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities and cooking times.
Based on that ingredient list, you might think this is an involved recipe, but it’s actually deceptively simple. It only takes a few steps to make this delicious potato salad.
Step 1: Prep
Finely chop the celery and bell pepper. Then, Thinly slice the scallions, chop the hard-boiled eggs, and mince your parsley. Measure out all your ingredients. Finally, peel and chop your potatoes.
Step 2: Smoke the Potatoes
Place the cubed potatoes into a shallow foil pan, toss in oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Smoke them until fork tender.
Step 3: Prepare the Potatoes
Place smoked potatoes in a bowl and carefully toss with vinegar until coated. Allow potatoes to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Then, refrigerate until chilled, stirring about halfway through the chilling process. Usually another 30 to 45 minutes.
Step 4: Make the Dressing
Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl until combined.
Step 5: Make the Potato Salad
Add the eggs, celery, bell pepper, parsley, and dressing to the chilled potatoes and fold gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the potatoes and refrigerate to let the flavors combine.
Hint: To keep your potatoes from turning brown while you peel and cube them, place the cubed potatoes in a bowl of water as you go.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this creole potato salad.
- Any Potatoes – I love Yukon Gold potatoes, but any potato will work in this recipe.
- Onions – If you don’t have scallions, you can use sweet onions.
- Any Bell Pepper – If you don’t have green bell peppers, red, orange, or yellow will also work.
Want to personalize this smoked potato salad recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Extra Spicy – For an extra spicy kick, try adding diced jalapenos to the recipe.
- Sour Cream – Serve with a dollop of sour cream for more flavor.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy slow cooker creole steak stew.
You only need a few basic kitchen tools to make this recipe. Just a few items is all it takes.
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowl
You can store this potato salad in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to five days.
If you’re itching to make this delicious recipe, take a moment to look over these tips. They’re easy, and they make a big difference.
- Keep your potatoes from turning brown while you slice and cube them by placing the cubed potatoes in a bowl of water.
- It’s important to allow the potatoes to chill completely so that the remoulade remains thick and cream. If the potatoes are hot, they’ll cause the remoulade to break.
More Spicy Recipes
Do you like creole and cajun food? Here some recipes you may also like to try
Do you have questions about creole smoked potato salad? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about creole potato salad.
Potato salad will last for up to five days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
No, you can’t. Mayonnaise doesn’t freeze well. It breaks when it defrosts and creates a texture and flavor that’s not appealing.
No! Do not ever do this. Potato salad is made with a combination of ingredients that is delicious to us and bacteria. Never leave potato salad out for longer than a couple of hours.
If your potato salad tastes fizzy, then bacteria in the salad is fermenting, giving it that fizzy taste. Throw it out immediately.
More than likely, you overcooked the potatoes. Overcooked potatoes won’t stand up to the mixing process, making your potato salad more the consistency of smashed potatoes.
Creole Smoked Potato Salad
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Creole Smoked Potato Salad
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into ¾-inch chunks
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 large hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1 rib celery diced
- ½ sweet pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley minced
- 1 ¼ cups mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup cornichons or dill gherkins drained and chopped
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard or another mustard
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- Place diced potatoes inside a foil pan. Toss with oil until coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Smoke at 200 degrees for 2-3 hours. Adjust potatoes periodically by shaking the foil pan lightly like my husband or use a spatula like I do!
- Until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Place smoked potatoes in a bowl and carefully toss with vinegar until coated. Allow potatoes to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Then, refrigerate until chilled, stirring about halfway through the chilling process. Usually another 30 to 45 minutes.
Making the Salad
- Add dressing to cold potatoes.
- Please add mayo, cornichons, scallions, horseradish, mustard, ketchup, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Whisk all ingredients in bowl until blended together.
- Fold carefully until blended.
- Add eggs, celery, sweet pepper and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper to suit your personal taste and stir until incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate to allow flavors to meld together for at least 30 minutes.
- Every bite!