When it comes to making these tasty meatballs, easy and delicious is the name of the game. These frozen, pre-cooked meatballs are bathed in a sweet and spicy chili sauce and then ready in no time flat. They’re the perfect appetizer or snack!
Meatballs are versatile! They’re popular at family dinners, game day parties, and even potlucks. I love to make this dish for all occasions, because the entire process takes less than 20 minutes!
When my son, Patrick, was just a little guy, one of his favorite dishes was spaghetti and meatballs. He was just learning how to print, so I asked him to put it on paper. He wrote, “Mum, ples make basketi and metbals”. It was the cutest thing. Being a teacher, it was a golden opportunity to give him a spelling lesson and fulfill his wish at the same time. We were both happy campers.
Since then, I’ve made several different flavored meatballs, and Patrick is especially crazy about these sweet chili meatballs!
Sweet Chili Meatballs
Four simple ingredients is all it takes to make these delicious meatballs. And they’re readily available at any grocery store.
- Frozen, pre-cooked meatballs
- Sweet chili sauce
- Brown sugar
See the recipe card at the end of this post for precise amounts and cooking times.
Without a doubt, this is one of the easiest meatball recipes I’ve encountered. There’s almost zero work and scores high in flavor.
Step 1: Heat the Meatballs
Place the meatballs in a medium saucepan and heat over low to medium heat, stirring often until they’re heated through.
Step 2: Make the Sauce
Whisk together the ketchup, sweet chili sauce, and brown sugar until completely combined.
Step 3: Finish the Meatballs
Pour the sauce over the meatballs and cook on low until the sauce is heated.
Hint: Use a whisk rather than a spoon to mix the sauce. It allows the brown sugar to incorporate more easily.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change the flavor? Here are a couple of helpful tips to change these sweet chili meatballs.
- Meatballs – Frozen meatballs come in a variety of flavors. Use any kind you like to change up the dish.
- Honey – Use honey in place of brown sugar for a sweet chili honey sauce.
Want to personalize this sweet and spicy meatballs recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Spicy – For even more heat, add red pepper flakes or diced jalapenos.
- Sesame Seeds – Add sesame seeds for a nutty flavor.
If you love recipes like this, you may also want to try baked garlic parmesan meatablls.
Just like the ingredient list, you only need a few basic items to make this delicious dish.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden or plastic spoon
Meatballs will keep well in an air-tight container for three to four days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, freeze them for up to two months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
Although this is a ridiculously easy recipe, I have a few tricks up my sleeve that will make it even easier.
- When heating the meatballs and then the meatballs in the sauce, put the lid on the saucepan to speed things up.
- Use a whisk rather than a spoon to mix the sauce ingredients. The whisk helps the brown sugar incorporate more easily.
- Heat the meatballs and sauce on low when finishing. It only takes five minutes, and anything higher could leave you with a burned mess.
More Meatball Recipes
If you’re crazy for meatballs, here are some recipes you may also like to try
Do you have questions about these sweet chili meatballs? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about sweet and spicy meatballs.
Absolutely! Simply use two bags of meatballs and double the sauce ingredients.
Yes! Just use half the bag of meatballs and halve the sauce ingredients.
These meatballs will keep in the refrigerator for three to four days or in the freezer for up to two months.
Yes! Generally speaking, you can refreeze any cooked frozen meat so long as it hasn’t been left at room temperature for more than a couple of hours.
Let the meatballs chill completely in the refrigerator, then remove them from the sauce and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze the meatballs until frozen solid, then transfer them to a heavy-duty, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag and pour the sauce over them.
To reheat the meatballs, place them in a baking dish and cover it with foil. Then, bake at 300 degrees for about 45 minutes until heated through.
If you’re using them as appetizers, simply put them in a bowl and let everyone take as many as they want. For a meal, place the meatballs over a bed of white rice with a side of vegetables.
Sweet and Spicy Meatballs
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Sweet and Spicy Meatballs
- 30 frozen meatballs, pre-cooked found in the freezer section
- ½ cup sweet chili sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Pull out and measure your ingredients.
- Add meatballs to a medium sauce pan over low to medium heat.
- Stir meatballs often until they are heated through.
- Whisk all other ingredients in a small bowl together and pour it over the meatballs.
- Mix contents together.
- Heat on LOW for 5 minutes or until sauce is heated through.
- Enjoy every bite.