Instant Coffee WhippedI have been seeing this cloud coffee recipe EVERYWHERE and for good reason! Cloud Coffee or Dalgona coffee is a SUPER simple recipe that is so much fun to make and tastes amazing. It’s a viral recipe that literally everyone can’t stop talking about. I decided to give it a try, and I’m so glad that I did. To be honest, I was afraid that I was going to hate it…but nope – it’s one of my favorites now!
I was worried that the coffee flavoring was going to be too much or that the caffeine was going to be too strong. And since I limit my caffeine, this is why I was worried.
BUT I was so happy when I took my first drink. It was amazing, light, and creamy! These whipped coffees are really, really good.
I’m used to drinking iced coffee but I think that I’ll be on the whipped coffee bandwagon now for a very long time.
I’m also pretty obsessed with the fact that it’s fast and easy to make. Literally make this drink in minutes!Remember, you just need a handful of ingredients to get it made!
What is Cloud Coffee?
Cloud coffee is literally “whipped” coffee with a super light and fluffy texture.
It’s like a combination of a latte and a cappuccino in my opinion. All you need is a bit of milk and coffee!This recipe is similar to an Indian beverage known as phenti or phitti hui coffee, or simply beaten coffee. The main difference between the two is that the milk is poured on top of the whipped mixture instead of putting it on the whipped mixture on top of the milk. The more you know, right? Learning about foods and drinks is so much fun!
What Is Dalgona Coffee?Dalgona coffee is known to have been created from a Korean beverage. It was started by using equal portions of instant coffee powder, sugar, and hot water and whipping together until cream. Then you add in your hot liquid, or cold liquid, and enjoy. That is it. Crazy simple, right?
Have you seen the Dalgona coffee trend before?This trend is spreading all over the web! Everyone from everywhere is using their whisk and making up batches of this delicious whipped coffee! I love this trend because it not only tastes smooth but it also tastes sweet like a dessert as well. Remember that to make this coffee you really just need 3 main ingredients. I tend to think that this is one simple coffee recipe that I’ll be making over and over again. The trend just started over a year ago and there is no sign of it losing steam anytime soon! Are you going to hop on the trend or have you already?
Can I make this without instant coffee?Yes, you can! While using instant coffee is the most common way of creating this drink, there are other ways to make it.
- Drip Coffee Dalgona: All you need to do is mix about 3 ½ tablespoons of regular coffee with 5 tablespoons of super hot water in a mug. Then you need to let it steep for at least 5 minutes of time. Once that time has passed, pour the coffee through a filter. This should give you enough coffee to use. Add in about 2 T of sugar and mix then whip.
- Matcha Dalgona: Add in about ½ cup of coconut cream from a can of coconut milk. Add in ½ T of matcha powder and 2 T of maple syrup and whip.
Can whipped coffee be made using ground coffee?It’s not really going to work well that way. Grounds don’t dissolve in the same way that Instant coffee does. You’ll find that if you try, you’ll end up with a texture that you’re really not going to like.
Can I make this without sugar?
You can but you’ll notice a big difference. The sugar is actually what helps the top become fluffy and stiff. If you’re really against using sugar, you can try some of the options listed below:
Use Less Sugar: Limit the amount of sugar and just cut down on it. Use ½ T of sugar instead of the full amount.
Use A Natural Sugar: Raw sugar can be a healthier option and still work well for this simple recipe.
Dalgona Coffee Ingredients
- Instant Coffee
- Boiling water
- Caramel sauce or other flavorings (this is optional)
Flavor OptionsYou can also change up the flavor of your coffee, too. I love to change up the flavor every time that I make it! There are literally so many great options! You don’t need a lot of these additives to change the flavor. Maybe ½ teaspoon or so.
- cocoa powder
- hot chocolate powder
- crushed caramel candy
- coffee powder
- Grand Marnier
- ice cream
- butter pecan
- pumpkin pie
FAQS about this Dalgona Coffee:✓ easy, and quick ✓ no coffee machine needed ✓ simple ✓ can be altered to meet your dietary needs
Important tips and variations to make the best Dalgona Coffee at home:
- Sweeten it up with sweet add-ins and flavors!
- Use a mixing bowl that has plenty of space to whip it easily!
- Start with your mixer at low speed and then increase.
- Decaf instant coffee works, too!
Healthier Options for Dalgona Coffee
If you want to make a low calorie/sugar options I have a few tips that can help.
- Change up what you add as sugar.
- Use almond milk.
- Try a sugar-free syrup instead.
More Dalgona Recipes
More Easy Recipes
Easy Dalgona Cloud Coffee Recipe
- Hand or Stand Mixer
- 2 Tablespoons Instant Coffee
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar or sugar substitute
- 2 Tablespoons Boiling water
- ¾ Cup milk or milk substitute
- 1-2 Tablespoons Flavored sauce or syrup optional
- In a small bowl add instant coffee grounds.
- Add sugar.
- And water too.
- Using a hand mixer, blend ingredients together.
- Mix for 3-4 minutes or until the mixture is light in color and has a fluffy texture.
- Fill 2 mugs half full with ice, and add milk. (Or 1 if you like your coffee strong)
- Top each cup with half of the coffee mixture (or all in one).
- Mix well to combine.
- Enjoy every sip!