Garlic butter grilled cheese sandwiches take the sensibilities of both garlic bread and grilled cheese sandwiches and, well, sandwiches them together! They're golden, toasted, cheese, and so good!
If you love garlic bread and you also love grilled cheese sandwiches, then get ready for the ultimate in cheesy goodness! This delicious grilled cheese recipe is everything we love about both!
Why You Will Love this Recipe
- It only uses a handful of simple ingredients.
- It's the perfect combination of garlic bread and grilled cheese.
- Everyone loves grilled cheese sandwiches!
You'll only need a few kitchen staples to make this recipe. In fact, you probably have them all in your kitchen, right now. Check out the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Cheese slices
- Softened butter
- Minced fresh garlic
- Garlic salt
Substitutions and Variations
- Bread - Use your favorite variety with 2 slices as similar sized as possible for each sandwich.
- Cheese Slices - Enough to cover two pieces of bread. I used sharp cheddar but your favorite variety will work, alone or in combination with other cheeses like gouda, provolone, Monterey jack, Swiss or mozzarella cheese.
- Use Shredded Cheese - If you prefer, use shredded cheese instead. I encourage you to shred your own so your cheese melts better but store-bought shredded will work too.
- Butter - Use oil or our garlic mayo recipe instead.
- Minced Garlic - Use our roasted garlic recipe in an air fryer or in your own oven instead and turn your garlic cloves from a strong, sharp garlic taste to a smooth, sweet instead.
- Garlic Salt - Use garlic powder instead and ⅛ teaspoon salt.
- Store Bought Garlic Butter - Instead of homemade garlic butter use storebought instead of homemade to save a little time.
- Looking for Topping Alternatives? Look no further, we've listed all we can think of just in case you need it.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy our air fryer garlic bread recipe.
This recipe is just as easy as any grilled cheese you've ever made. The highlights are below, but you can find the exact instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: In a small bowl mix the butter, minced garlic, and garlic salt together, then butter one side of a couple of slices of bread.
2: Place the bread slices, butter side down, in a heated skillet and top with cheese. Then top with more buttered bread.
3: Cook until the bottoms are golden brown, then flip and cook until the other sides are golden brown.
4: Cut in half and enjoy!
Be sure to cook your grilled cheese over medium-low heat so the bread doesn't burn.
Refrigerator: Store wrapped in parchment paper in an air-tight for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Store wrapped in parchment paper in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 6 weeks.
What to Serve with Grilled Cheese
Of course, grilled cheese is delicious with tomato soup. However, it's also good with almost any kind of soup you like. We love so many things served with grilled cheese we made a list for you to check out.
You can also serve it alongside simple sides like:
- Potato chips
- French fries
- Sweet potato fries
- Potato wedges
- Potato salad
- Pasta salad
- Spread garlic butter as evenly as possible on each slice of bread to cause your grilled cheese to brown evenly.
- Always cook your grilled cheese at a low temperature and gradually to ensure a crispy outside and a melty, gooey inside.
- Ideal bread thickness is between ¾ and 1 inch thick but any bread will work and work well.
No. Starbucks grilled cheese uses sourdough bread, baby gouda cheese, cheddar cheese an olive oil spread that includes cream and salt.
Our grilled cheese sandwich recipe is 256 calories per sandwich.
You can use oil or mayonnaise in place of butter for a crispy, tangy variation.
Yes, you can by simply setting the temperature to 370 degrees and cooking inside the air fryer basket for 10 minutes.
Check out our post on how to make grilled cheese in a toaster oven. It's easy!
More Grilled Cheese Recipes
Do you like grilled cheese? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Garlic Grilled Cheese
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Garlic Grilled Cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, minced garlic, and garlic salt together.
- Butter one side of all pieces of bread and place two of them on your heated skillet, butter-side down.
- Place slices of cheese on both pieces of bread, completely covering them.
- Place remaining pieces of bread on top, buttered-side up.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the bottom piece of bread is golden brown.
- Flip sandwiches and continue toasting for 4-5 minutes or until the other piece of bread is a golden brown.
- Remove from skillet cut in half, and serve.