Made with only SIX ingredients this is the best fruit cocktail dump cake recipe you'll ever make. This fruit cocktail cake without coconut is moist, rich, and comes together in a flash!
This recipe has been in my family for generations. It was passed down to me by my grandmother. Somehow knowing that it was a favorite of hers, makes it a favorite of mine too!
Serve any of these easy cakes up with a scoop of White Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This fruit cocktail cake is one of the easiest cake recipes you'll ever make. All you need to do is grab your ingredients, dump them in a bowl, and get baking!
- A dessert filled with fruit. It has a lovely texture and makes a great weeknight dessert.
- A simple fruit dessert perfect for any occasion! It's great for potlucks, family get togethers, and holidays with friends.
You'll only need a few basic ingredients to make this fruit cocktail cake. The main ingredients are here, but you'll find the complete ingredients along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Sugar: We use a combination of white and brown sugar. The brown sugar adds another layer of flavor to the topping of the cake.
- Flour and eggs: Basic ingredients for cakes that combine to give the cake its structure.
- Fruit cocktail: Choose your favorite brand!
- Nuts: Adds great texture to the cake. I love it with pecans or walnuts but you can use other nuts as well.
- Brown sugar: Adds a richer flavor and more moisture to the cake.
Substitutions and Variations
- Add Some Other Flavors: You can add a teaspoon of vanilla for some natural warming flavor or a touch of cinnamon which works nicely to give the cake more depth of flavor.
- Add a Topping: Drizzle honey over the top of the cake after baking or add a buttercream or cream cheese frosting over the top.
- More Fruit: Add a half cup of chopped apples or pears to the batter along with the fruit cocktail.
How to Make Fruit Cocktail Cake
As with any dump cake, you'll be in and out of the kitchen in no time. The highlights are here, but you'll find the exact instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the egg and fruit cocktail to the bowl and mix.
- Add the fruit cocktail cake batter to a prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar and nut mixture over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven until the cake is done and the top is golden.
If you love recipes like this easy cake recipe, you may also enjoy this angel food cake trifle.
How to Store
- Refrigerator: This cake contains fruit and is best stored in the fridge. Wrap it up well and store for up to five days.
- Freezer: You can also freeze it for up to three months.
- Warm it up: In the oven or the microwave.
- Drain your fruit cocktail to remove the excess liquid. Too much liquid will make the cake batter too thin.
- Be sure to use the spray or grease the pan well to make serving the cake easier.
- Let your dump cake cool completely before cutting and serving. This ensures it holds its shape when served.
- For serving, it's great all on its own but even better with ice cream or whipped cream on top.
The prep time for this cake is just a few minutes - 10 at the most. The longest part of the process is baking it for an hour and 20 minutes.
Feel free to frost this cake! Buttercream and cream cheese frosting both work very well with this cake.
You probably didn't use enough spray. When using cooking spray, you want a light but even coat that thoroughly covers the entire interior surface of the pan. A quick spritz won't do it.
Video: How to Make This Recipe
Have a look at the video below!
More Fruit Dessert Recipes You'll Love
Do you like fruit desserts? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Fruit Cocktail Cake (BEST Dump Cake EVER!)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare a 9x9 or 8x8 inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add egg and stir to combine.
- Add fruit cocktail and stir some more.
- Pour into your prepared pan.
- Mix brown sugar and nuts and sprinkle all over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with whipped cream. Enjoy!
This post was originally published September 2017. It has been updated with new content and images.