These cupcakes that are red white and blue are tender, moist, and so delicious. Topped with white buttercream frosting, these red and blue cupcakes are the perfect patriotic cupcake recipe to make for Independence Day.
I may be Canadian, but I love my American readers. That’s why I have this super tasty and super cute red, white, and blue cupcake recipe to share with you today.
Cupcakes – Red, White and Blue with Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Red, White and Blue Cupcakes Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make these delicious cupcakes. You’ll find everything you need either in your kitchen or at your local grocery store.
For the Cake
- Softened butter
- Baking powder
- Egg whites
For the Frosting
- Softened butter
- Powdered sugar
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities.
How to Make Red, White and Blue Cupcakes
Making this recipe is just as easy as gathering the ingredients. It only takes a few simple steps!
Step 1: Cream Butter and Sugar
Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add Milk and Flour
Add milk and 2 cups of flour alternately and mix between each addition. Then, add the remaining flour and baking powder and beat well.
Step 3: Add Egg Whites
Beat the egg whites in a small bowl until peaks form. Then, add them to the batter and beat well.
Step 4: Bake the Cupcakes
Bake the cupcakes in a muffin tin lined with cupcake liners at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 5: Make the Frosting
Beat the butter and powdered sugar together. the mix will be crumbly. Then, add the vanilla and 2 tablespoons of milk. Beat well.
Step 6: Frost the Cupcakes
Add the frosting to a large Ziploc bag. Cut a small corner off the bag and pipe the frosting onto the fully cooled cupcakes. Add sprinkles and serve.
Hint: Be sure your cupcakes are fully cooled so the frosting sticks to them.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this red, white and blue cupcake recipe.
- Heavy Cream – You can use heavy cream in place of milk for the cupcakes and the frosting.
- Cake Flour – For the most tender cupcakes, use cake flour in place of all-purpose flour.
Want to personalize this red, white and blue cupcake recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Strawberries and Blueberries – For more patriotic color, garnish with sliced strawberries and blueberries.
- Filled Center – Try poking a hole in your cupcake and filling it with even more frosting!
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy these easy sunflower cupcakes.
You’ll only need basic kitchen equipment to make this recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Muffin pan
- Ziploc bag
You can store these cupcakes covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. For longer storage, you can refrigerate them for up to 7 days.
This is a simple recipe, but I have some tips to help you make it the best it can possibly be.
- Only beat the egg whites until peaks form. If you overbeat them, they’ll collapse.
- If your frosting is too thin, add a bit more powdered sugar.
- If your frosting is too thick, add a bit more milk.
- Never frost your cupcakes until they’re fully cooled. Otherwise, the frosting will just slide right off of them.
More Red, White and Blue Recipes
If you want more patriotic recipes, then I have some winners here that I think you’ll love.
Do you have questions about this patriotic cupcake recipe? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about these patriotic cupcakes.
Cupcakes were invented in America in the late 1700s. The first known reference to cupcakes is in Amelia Simmons'”American Cookery”, published in 1796.
These will last for up to 3 days at room temperature or up to a week in the refrigerator.
Put the frosting in a Ziploc bag and snip off a corner. You have an instant piping bag!
Patriotic Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Cupcakes – Red, White and Blue with Buttercream Frosting
- 2 muffin pan (12 holes)
- 1 ¼ cups butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large egg whites
- 8 oz butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoon milk
- sprinkles of your choice
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare cupcake pan by inserting cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
- Add milk and 2 cups of flour alternately, mixing in between.
- Add remaining cup of flour and baking powder. Beat well.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until peaks form.
- Add egg whites to batter and beat well.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter and powdered sugar together. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Add vanilla and 2 tablespoons of milk. Beat well.
- If frosting is too thick, add a bit more milk. If frosting is too thin, add a bit more powdered sugar.
- Put frosting in a large ziplock bag. Cut a small corner off and pipe frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Add sprinkles.
- Every bite!