Jello Layered Cake is a festive and fun individual dessert that makes for a beautiful and delicious dessert table. I love how this Red, White and Blue layered dessert turned out. It was such a fun and tasty treat to celebrate the 4th of July.
Get ready to beat the heat with this Jello Layered Cake recipe. One of my favorite things about this recipe is that not only is it simple to make but it’s also budget friendly.
There’s no need to stay at the stove all day to make a delicious dessert. It doesn’t take long to put these festive and fun layered desserts together so that you can spend more time with your family.
Not only are these individual layered cakes delectable but they are also light and refreshing. 4th of July is usually one of the hottest holidays of the year here, and after spending all day outside for fireworks and grilling, having a fabulous dessert to help us cool off is essential.
This Jello Layered Cake recipe is just what we need to accomplish that.
Is Jello layered cake challenging to make
I’m happy to inform you that Red, White and Blue Jello layered cake is simple to make. Not only is it simple to make but they are also so yummy.
This easy dessert is perfect for the kids to eat while watching the fireworks or after your cookout. While this dessert is tasty, it’s not overly sweet. I would consider this Jello on the lighter side which also helps to keep the calorie count down.
I would say this colorful and festive dessert is the perfect refreshing treat on a hot day.
Is this kid friendly
Absolutely, this dessert is kid friendly. Just as a note though I would recommend that if you are feeding this layered cake to kids that I would make sure to use plastic microwave safe containers instead of glass.
A mason jar would also work for kids, as they are a little tougher and can take more dings before shattering. Kids love the fruity flavor of the Jello and the creamy texture of the white chocolate pudding.
Your children will be asking you to make this dessert over and over again.
What flavor of Jello should I use
You have some options for this creamy dessert. I used cherry for the deeper red color but strawberry would work just as well. For the blue Jello, Berry Blue works great. However, there are other blue options.
You could use Sonic Ocean Water for a coconut taste, or Starburst Blue Raspberry for a Blue Raspberry flavor.
What should I put this Red White and Blue layered dessert in
Place your Red White and blue layered cake in a small glass or plastic container. It’s important to note that your glass or plastic cup needs to be microwave safe. I would recommend using a 4 ounce size cup for the perfect small dessert.
I used small glasses similar to these small tumblers. Another option for serving this layered dessert is these mini food storage containers. They would work great for this Red White and Blue Jello Layered Cake.
Can I change the colors of this layered dessert
Absolutely, you can use any colors that match your event. I used Red, White and Blue because it fits the theme for the 4th of July. But, if you need some other colors then by all means use the colors that match the theme for your event.
To change up the colors you need to do is purchase the jello flavors that match the colors for your event.
How do I store Jello Layered Cake
It is very important you store your Jello Layered Cake in the fridge. Be sure that you tightly cover your layered dessert.
If you do not have lids that fit the containers that you are using to serve your treat, you can use plastic wrap or press and seal to ensure that your Jello Layered Cake stays covered.
I typically use press and seal because I feel like it provides a tight seal. No matter what you use just make sure that while your Jello Layered Cake stays in the fridge that it remains covered at all times, until you are ready to serve.
How do I serve Jello Layered Cake
I find the easiest way to serve Jello Layered Cake is by placing it in the individual containers. You can make this dish in a large trifle type of bowl if you don’t want to use smaller glasses.
However, using small glasses or mason jars really makes dishing out a snap and keeps your layers pretty while you enjoy this delicious treat.
What is the white layer for this dessert
The creamy white layer of this dessert is not what you think it is. When you look at the images for this treat you automatically think that creamy white layer is Cool Whip but it is not. Can you believe that it is white chocolate pudding?
That’s right it is. White Chocolate pudding is easy to make all you need is a mixer, a box of white chocolate pudding and some milk. You can whip up this creamy middle in less than five minutes and be ready to fill in your fun layers.
Can I freeze this dessert
Unfortunately, this dessert does not freeze well. I do not recommend freezing your Jello layered cake because the pudding layer will not hold up well.
This dessert is best made a few hours before you want to enjoy it. If you want to make this dessert ahead you can prepare it about 24 hours before your event. It will hold up just fine in the fridge for about 24 hours.
How long does Jello Layer Cake last
This Jello Layer Cake should last about two days in the fridge. Don’t worry though, you shouldn’t have any leftovers because these festive and fun little desserts will just fly right off your dessert table in a hurry.
If you do happen to have some left I don’t think your family will complain about having to eat them.
Ingredients for Jello Layered Cake
- 1 Cup of graham crackers (crushed)
- 4 Teaspoons of sugar
- 4 Teaspoons of butter
- 2 Cups of water
- 2 Cups of milk
- 1 Box of red (cherry, strawberry) Jello
- box of blue Jello (blue raspberry or berry blue)
- 1 Box of white chocolate Jello pudding
Directions for Jello Layered Cake
Step 1. Take the crushed graham crackers (you can use a food processor or crush by hand) and place in a mixing bowl. Add the 4 teaspoons of sugar and 4 teaspoons of butter. Mix well. It should resemble wet sand.
Step 2. Place ¼ cup of graham cracker mixture and place into a glass (microwave proof) mug or cup. Pack down tight. You can use a canned goods can or another cup to help press crust down. Place in the microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and press the crust down again to make it firm and set aside.
Step 3. In one pot place the strawberry or cherry jello and add 1 cup of warm/hot water. Stir well and let mixture dissolve for 5 minutes. Repeat this step with your blue jello layer.
Step 4. In a separate bowl mix the white chocolate pudding with 2 cups of milk. You can use half and half cream if you wish as well. Mix well (a handheld mixer works great) and set aside.
Step 5. Take each cup and place ¼ cup (or amount that you desire) of white chocolate pudding and let it level out. You can place it in the refrigerator or freezer if you want to layer to be more defined.
Step 6. After white chocolate layer over the crust has firmed up, place a layer of red or blue Jello next. Refrigerate for at least 15-20 minutes and then add another layer of white chocolate pudding. Add the opposite color after each white chocolate layer until you reach the top letting each layer refrigerate each time. Top off with whipped cream and serve!
- You can use different colored puddings and Jello to create any look you want. If you want you can also mix half Jello and half pudding to create different colors and consistencies.
- You can top with crushed nuts, sprinkles, or any topping you wish.
- After topping serve and Enjoy!
When I was younger, I never really enjoyed Jello. Then I had a surgery and wasn’t about to eat anything solid for a week, let me tell you that made me develop a strong love for Jello.
I enjoy so many different jello flavors but I have to say that Berry Blue and Strawberry are by far my favorite flavors. Now that I’ve fallen in love with Jello, I always crave it on a hot day.
It’s so refreshing and light. I love that the sweet taste feels decedent without it being high in calories or heavy on your stomach.
This year for the 4th of July, after you fire up the grill and watch those sparking balls of fireworks light up the sky, cool off from a long day with this sweet and refreshing Red White and Blue Jello Layered Cake.
I promise that the next Red White and Blue holiday that comes around, your family will be requesting this Red White and Blue Jello Layered Cake over and over again.
More Delicious Red White and Blue Recipes
- RED WHITE AND BLUE POKE CAKE – 4TH OF JULY RECIPE
- 4TH OF JULY SNACK MIX- RED WHITE AND BLUE TRAIL MIX
- RED WHITE AND BLUE SWIRL CHEESECAKE
- PATRIOTIC FRUIT COOKIE PIZZA – 4TH OF JULY FRUIT PIZZA
- RED WHITE AND BLUE FUNFETTI CAKE
- BERRY TRIFLE WITH ANGEL FOOD CAKE – 4TH OF JULY TRIFLE
Jello Layered Cake
- 4 Small Microwave Safe Jars or Glasses
- 1 Cup graham crackers crushed
- 4 Teaspoons sugar
- 4 Teaspoons butter
- 2 Cups water
- 2 Cups milk
- 1 box Blue Jello, berry blue or blue raspberry
- 1 box Red Jello, cherry, strawberry Jello
- 1 box white chocolate Jello pudding
- Get out and measure all of your ingredients.
- In one pot place the strawberry or cherry jello and add 1 cup of warm/hot water. Stir well and let mixture dissolve for 5 minutes. Repeat this step with your blue jello.
- In a separate bowl mix the white chocolate pudding with 2 cups of milk. You can use half and half cream if you wish as well. Mix well (a handheld mixer works great) and set aside.
- Take each cup and place ¼ cup (or amount that you desire) of white chocolate pudding and let it level out. You can place in the refrigerator or freezer if you want to layer to be more defined.
- Take the crushed graham crackers (you can use a food processor or crush by hand)
- Place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the 4 teaspoons of sugar.
- And 4 teaspoons of butter.
- Mix well.
- It should resemble wet sand.
- Place ¼ cup of graham cracker mixture and place into glass (microwave proof) mug or cup. Pack down tight. You can use a canned goods can or another cup to help press crust down. Place in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Remove and press the crust down again to make it firm and set aside.
- After white chocolate layer over the crust has firmed up place a layer of red or blue jello next.
- Refrigerate for at least 15-20 minutes and then add another layer of white chocolate pudding. Add the opposite color after each white chocolate layer until you reach the top letting each layer refrigerate each time. Top off with whipped cream and serve!
- You can top with crushed nuts, sprinkles, or any topping you wish.
- Enjoy every bite!
- You can use different colored puddings and jello to create any look you want. You can also mix half jello and half pudding to create different colors and consistencies.