Naked flower cake is a delicious, beautiful dessert that’s easy to make and so pretty! A naked cake decorated with flowers that are made of frosting or edible looks so fancy and tastes so yummy!
I love naked cakes. They have the perfect ratio of frosting to cake if you ask me. This particular recipe even keeps the decorations simple with edible flowers or flowers made of frosting.
Naked Cake with Flowers
A recipe this simple only takes simple baking ingredients to make. You’ll have most of them in your kitchen already!
For the Cake
- Softened butter
- Baking powder
- Egg whites
For the Frosting
- Heavy whipping cream
- Powdered sugar
For the Decorations
- Edible flowers, artificial flowers, or frosting flowers
See the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
This cake uses simple ingredients and simple steps to make something simply delicious. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray three 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Then, lightly flour them.
Step 2: Cream the Butter and Sugar
Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
Step 3: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in another bowl.
Step 4: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Beat the egg whites, vanilla, and milk together until combined in another bowl.
Step 5: Make the Batter
Add one-third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat well. Then, add ⅓ of the egg mixture to the butter mixture and beat well. Continue alternating and mixing until the batter is fully combined.
Step 6: Bake
Add the batter evenly to all three cake pans and bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out cleanly.
Step 7: Cool
Let the cakes cool for 15 minutes in the pans and then flip them out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Use a knife or spatula to gently separated them from the pans if needed.
Step 8: Make the Frosting
Beat the heavy cream in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer for 3 to 5 minutes or until peaks being to form. Then, add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until the frosting is whipped and spreadable.
Step 9: Assemble the Cake
Place a cake layer onto a cake stand. Then top it with frosting. Repeat with the other two layers, finishing by applying frosting to the top of the cake. Then, decorate the edges with your desired flowers. Slice and serve.
Hint: Be sure the cake layers are completely cooled so the frosting doesn’t melt when added to them.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this naked cake with flowers.
- Frosting – If you don’t have the ingredients for frosting or just don’t want to make it, you can use store-bought frosting.
- Decorative Frosting – If you don’t have flowers of any sort and aren’t sure if you can pipe frosting to look like flowers, just add a little decorative frosting ridge around the top of the cake.
Want to personalize this naked flower cake recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Any Cake Flavor – You can make your cake any flavor you like.
- Any Frosting Flavor – Flavor your buttercream frosting with any extract you like.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this naked carrot cake.
It only takes a few basic pieces of equipment to make this recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
- Cake pans
- Frosting knife
This cake is best when eaten within 2 to 3 days. With no frosting on the sides, it will dry out faster than a normal cake.
This recipe uses a simple cake and frosting mixture, but there are still a few tips to keep in mind to make it the best it can possibly be.
- Be sure your butter is fully softened for the best creaming and cake texture.
- Mix your batter until just combined to ensure your cake is nice and tender.
- Let your cake cool completely before frosting.
Do you have questions about naked flower cake? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about naked cake with flowers.
It was invented by Christina Tosi of Milk Bar in 2014.
The frosting on a traditional cake creates a barrier between the cake and the air, allowing the moisture of the cake to remain inside it. Naked cakes have no frosting on the outside, so they dry out more quickly.
You can. Open-air freeze it and then wrap it in a double layer of clingwrap and another layer of foil.
More Cake Recipes
Do you like cake? Here are some recipes you may also like to try
Naked Flower Cake
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Naked Flower Cake
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- edible, fresh or artificial flowers
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare three 8-inch round cake pans by spraying them with non-stick cooking spray and a thin layer of flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla, and milk together until combined.
- Add ⅓ of flour mixture to butter mixture. Beat well.
- Add ⅓ of egg mixture to butter mixture. Beat well.
- Continue alternating until all ingredients are combined and mixed well.
- Separate batter evenly between the three prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
- Allow cakes to cool for 15 minutes before flipping them onto your work surface. You may need to use a knife or spatula to loosen them a bit.
- Allow them to cool completely before frosting them.
- Prepare frosting by placing the heavy whipping cream in a medium mixing bowl. With a hand mixer, beat it for 3-5 minutes or until peaks begin to form.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until frosting is whipped and able to be spread onto your cake.
- Assemble cake by alternating cake layers and frosting layers.
- Decorate your cake with flowers of your choice.
- Decorate. Serve and enjoy every bite!