Margarita Grilled Chicken is super flavorful with a hint of citrus. This dish is not only easy to make, it's healthy and tastes just like Chili's Margarita-grilled chicken. A guilt-free, great dinner for any night of the week.
Chili's Margarita Chicken
The last time I visited the states, my friend took me to a Chili's. Since, I had never eaten at Chili's, I told my friend to suggest a meal for me. She suggested Chili's Margarita Chicken, and I am so glad that she did.
It was so delicious. I loved the light citrus flavor from the marinade and glaze for this chicken. I went home just thinking about how tasty this meal was.
When I got home I was looking forward to the day when I can make this Margarita Grilled Chicken recipe for Ken. Since, it was Monday night, and I was feeling well, I decided to go for it.....and am I glad that I did!
I was able to get very close to the original recipe and Ken loved this fresh tasting Chili's Margarita Chicken. This is our favorite copycat recipe EVER!
How do I store leftover Margarita Chicken
Refrigerate chilis margarita grilled chicken leftovers in an airtight storage container for up to 5 days. Be sure to keep your leftover chicken covered and cold to prevent spoiling. I like to date my leftover containers on a piece of tape or with a post it note, so I can make sure we use the leftovers before they go bad.
Can I freeze Margarita Grilled Chicken
Yes, Freeze leftover Grilled Chicken, in an airtight storage container for up to 3 months. Be sure to use freezer bags if you have them available, and be sure to squeeze out all of the excess air before freezing to prevent freezer burn.
Can I make this recipe with chicken breast tenders
Yes, but the cooking time will vary greatly due to their small size. Try using about ¼ cup less marinade and reduce cooking time by 15 minutes or more. You may need to adjust your heat level as well depending on how thick they are in relation to a whole chicken breast.
How do I reheat Margarita Chicken
To reheat frozen Margarita Chicken, thaw the chicken in the refrigerator overnight. Heat a saucepan over medium heat, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and then cook each slice of chicken until heated through or about 3 minutes per side.
To prevent your chicken from drying out while reheating, you can reheat with the lid on. Then remove the lid for the last minute of reheating. You can also use your microwave if you prefer.
Can I use an indoor grill to grill this chicken
Yes! If you have a grill or indoor grill, you can use that to make this chicken. Heat your grill to medium and then cook each slice about 6-7 minutes per side. You may need to adjust your heat level depending on the temperature of your indoor grill.
What should I serve this chicken recipe with
This chicken recipe is served with white rice and black beans. Chili's also serves this chicken with guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream. You could make those at home if you wanted to cut down costs. Or, just serve it with corn tortillas or flour chips for a simple lunch or dinner option.
How long should I marinate margarita grilled chicken
Marinate Grilled Chicken for at least one hour, but no longer than 24 hours. If you marinate it too long or leave extra marinade on the chicken when cooking, the citrus flavors may start to cook off and become bitter tasting. I recommend marinating for at least 12 hours if you have the time.
Is this chicken recipe healthy
This quick and easy chicken recipe is not only flavorful, but it's an excellent source of protein. The chicken provides about 36 grams of protein per serving and the rice and beans add another 15 grams of protein for a total of 51 grams of protein in just one meal! That's over half way to your daily needs.
Ingredients for Margarita Grilled Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded lightly to be even thickness
- 1 cup liquid margarita mix (no alcohol)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3-4 Green onions
- 5 Garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons Salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon whole Black peppercorns
- 1 cup liquid margarita mix (no alcohol)
- 1.5 Tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 Tablespoons cornstarch mixed into 2 Tablespoons of cold water.
How to make Margarita Grilled Chicken
To create the marinade, combine all marinade ingredients (except for chicken) in a blender or food processor. Blend the marinade until all of the peppercorns and large ingredients have been blended.
Place chicken in an airtight container or resealable bag, pour marinade over chicken until covered.
Marinate the chicken inside your fridge for 12 to 24 hours, adjusting periodically.
Take the chicken out of the fridge 20-30 minutes before you plan to grill so that it can come up to room temp.
While the chicken is coming up to room temp, mix together the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat over medium high heat until it thickens. Remove the glaze from the heat.
Oil your grill grates and heat the grill on high.
Once hot, carefully place the chicken on the grill, then turn all the burners down to medium heat.
Cook the chicken for a few minutes on each side then flip over. When you flip it over, use a long brush to brush the chicken with the glaze. Continue this process of flipping and glazing until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165, then remove chicken from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- This is a great grilled chicken recipe, light, citrusy, and peppery! The glaze gives it an extra boost of flavor. Pairs perfectly with a good old fashioned margarita!
- You could also serve this margarita chicken as skewers or kabobs. Just cut your chicken breasts into smaller chunks, slide them on the soaked skewers, and grill for 7 to 10 minutes flipping half way through, or until your internal chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Margarita Grilled Chicken is a delicious recipe for a grill. The chicken marinates with citrus flavor of lime, mixed in with the heat from red pepper flakes to create a perfect balance between sweet and spicy. This grilled chicken can be served as skewers or kabobs (just cut it into smaller chunks), but we recommend serving this dish over rice with black beans, guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream on the side! If you want to go all out, top your Margarita Grilled Chicken off with margaritas (of course)!
More Quick and Easy Recipes
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
- Tomato Basil Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas
Margarita Grilled Chicken
- Pull out and measure the ingredients.
- To create the marinade, combine all marinade ingredients (except the chicken) in a blender or food processor.
- Add Margarita mix, olive oil and lime juice.
- Add garlic cloves.
- Add green onions.
- Whole or cut in half is fine.
- Add salt, peppercorns, sugar and red pepper flakes.
- Blend the marinade until all of the peppercorns and large ingredients have been blended.
- Place chicken in an airtight container or resealable bag, pour marinade over the top and mix until the chicken is coated.
- Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for at least 12-24 hours.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge 20-30 minutes before grilling, so that it's room temperature.
- Over medium-high heat, add Margarita mix and lime juice to a small saucepan.
- Add salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add a mixture of blended cornstarch and water.
- Heat until it thickens. Remove the glaze from the heat and set aside until needed.
- Oil grill grates and heat the grill on high. Once hot, carefully place the chicken on the grill, then turn all the burners down to medium heat.
- Cook the chicken for a few minutes then flip over. When you flip it over, brush chicken with glaze using a long basting brush.
- Continue this process of flipping and glazing until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy every bite!