This BBQ chicken stromboli recipe is just as delicious as it sounds. Pulled barbecued chicken and three kinds of cheese are all wrapped up in delicious, golden browned Pillsbury pizza dough to create a semi-homemade stromboli recipe with a delicious twist.
I’m a big fan of pizza and anything pizza-adjacent – which stromboli is. The thing is, after making the same kinds of pizza, stromboli, and calzones for so long, things get stale. This BBQ chicken stromboli recipe is a great twist on a classic recipe.
Chicken Stromboli Recipe with BBQ Sauce
The thing I love about barbecued chicken is that it’s such a classic dish that lends itself so well to experimentation. I love basic oven barbecued chicken, but I also like getting creative. Just like my bacon-wrapped barbecue chicken and my crunchy barbecue onion chicken, this chicken stromboli recipe with pizza dough recipe takes classic barbecued chicken and gives it a tasty twist.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious recipe, and you can find all of them easily at your local grocery store.
- Pillsbury pizza dough – or homemade dough
- Rotisserie Chicken
- BBQ Sauce
- Italian seasoning
You’ll find amounts and times in the recipe card below.
The best part of this chicken and cheese stromboli is that it only requires five easy steps! There’s not a lot of effort that goes into this delicious meal idea. I love meals that come together in only a few simple steps.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat your oven to 375° and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray or sprinkle with cornmeal.
Unroll the pizza dough onto a large board or the kitchen counter.
Step 2: Make the BBQ Chicken
Debone and shred the rotisserie chicken meat. Combine the chicken with BBQ sauce and butter, mixing thoroughly.
Step 3: Add the Filling
Spread the barbecue chicken over the pizza dough, leaving one inch at one end with no filling. Sprinkle the barbecue chicken with cheddar, mozzarella, and pepper jack cheeses.
Step 4: Construct the BBQ Chicken Stromboli
Fold the end with the filling over about 2 inches, then fold in the sides and pinch to keep closed. Roll the stromboli up and pinch ends together. Place on the baking sheet, seam side down.
Mix the parmesan and Italian seasoning together, then brush the stromboli with the egg and sprinkle with cheese.
Step 5: Bake
Cover the BBQ chicken stromboli with tinfoil and place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the tin foil and bake for 15 more minutes.
Slice and serve with BBQ sauce or ranch dressing.
Hint: It’s easier to debone and shred your chicken when it’s warm. Just let the fresh rotisserie chicken cool until you can handle it, then debone and shred. It’s a snap!
If you don’t have the exact ingredients for this recipe, or you simply want to change things up, here are some great substitutions for this recipe.
- Baked Chicken – Don’t have a rotisserie chicken? Shred baked chicken breasts or thighs.
- Pulled Pork – Pulled pork is a great substitute for chicken in this recipe.
- Cheese – Add any of your favorite cheese. They’ll all work well!
- Melted Butter – If you’re out of eggs, use melted butter for the stroboli crust instead of a beaten egg.
This BBQ chicken stromboli recipe is amazing just as it is, but if you want to change things up, you can. I have some great ideas for mixing it up.
- Spicy – Pepper jack is already in this recipe, but if you want more heat, add some red pepper flakes.
- Kid friendly – To make this recipe more kid friendly, simply leave out the pepper jack cheese to do away with the heat.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy my ultimate stuffed calzone.
It only takes a few simple tools to make this recipe. It’s such a simple recipe, it doesn’t require anything fancy at all.
- Two forks or meat claws
- Mixing bowl
- Silicone baking brush
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
Store your leftover stromboli in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to five days. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to three months.
This is such a simple recipe, there aren’t a lot of tips for making it. You really can’t go wrong.
- Always leave about an inch of space when filling your dough so you can close the stromboli.
- This is a quick easy dinner to serve for games or get togethers.
- Delicious dipped in your favorite ranch dressing or BBQ sauce.
- This is wonderful served with a salad on the side.
More Delicious Barbecue Recipes
Are you a barbecue lover? Then these recipes are perfect for you.
Do you have questions about this BBQ chicken stromboli recipe? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about BBQ chicken stromboli.
Wrap your stromboli tightly in cling wrap and then place in a heavy-duty freezer bag or an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Simply leave the stromboli in the refrigerator overnight and then place it in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.
Set the air fryer to 350 and cook seam-side down for 13 minutes.
You can make the stromboli up to 24 hours ahead of time and then cook it. You can also freeze your uncooked stromboli.
BBQ Chicken Stromboli
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
BBQ Chicken Stromboli
- 1 refrigerated Pillsbury Pizza Dough I used original, not thin
- 2 cups Rotisserie Chicken deboned and shredded
- ¾ cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 cup mild cheddar shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup pepper jack shredded
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ cup parmesan freshly shredded
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375° Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray or sprinkle sheet with cornmeal.
- Unroll pizza dough on a large board or counter.
- Combine chicken, BBQ Sauce and butter, then spread over the pizza dough, leaving 1 inch at one end with no filling.
- Sprinkle with cheddar, mozzarella, and pepperjack cheese.
- Fold the end with the filling over about 2 inches, then fold in the sides and pinch to keep closed.
- Roll stromboli up and pinch ends together. Place on the baking sheet, seam side down.
- Mix the parmesan and Italian seasoning together.
- Brush the stromboli with the egg and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with tinfoil.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the tin foil and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Slice and serve with BBQ sauce or ranch dressing.
This is a quick easy dinner to serve for games or get togethers.
Not your usual stromboli, this stromboli is filled with BBQ chicken and cheese and then rolled up instead of just folded over.
Delicious dipped in your favorite ranch dressing or BBQ sauce.
This is wonderful served with a salad on the side. Storage:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can reheat in the microwave or oven.