For a fun and different way to enjoy to mac and cheese, why not give this crispy bacon mac and cheese burger a try? These mini burgers are perfect for a family-fun dinner or party. A burger both kids and adults alike will love!!
Macaroni and Cheese Burger with Bacon
Burgers and mac and cheese are two favorites in my house and I couldn't wait to find a way to mash them together into one delicious recipe so I could enjoy them at the same time!! Bacon mac and cheese burgers are a great way to use up leftover mac and cheese or easy to make using boxed macaroni and cheese.
This easy burger recipe is made using mostly pantry staples along with a few items you can easily find in most grocery stores.
- Velveeta mac & cheese or leftover mac n cheese
- panko breadcrumbs
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- black pepper
- all purpose flour
- vegetable oil, for frying
- pretzel buns
- toppings: bacon slices, avocado, red onion
See recipe card further down on the page for the exact quantities of each ingredient.
Don't be overwhelmed by all the steps in the recipe as nothing is too complicated and you will be super satisfied when it's all done and you take your first bite!
Step 1: Prep the Mac and Cheese
Cook the mac and cheese following the directions on the box. When ready, press it down into a rectangle casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Cook the Bacon
Cook the bacon in a frying pan over medium high heat until it's crispy. Set aside 5 slices to drain on a paper towel lined plate.
Continue cooking the remaining bacon for 3 more minutes to get them nice and crunchy. When it's ready, remove from the pan and drain on paper towel before roughly chopping the bacon.
Finish chopping the bacon into a fine mince using a food processor.
Step 3: Prep the Dredging Station
Gather three shallow bowls or plates and set up an area to make the patties.
Combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or plate and mix well.
In the second dish, whisk the eggs.
In the last dish, combine the minced bacon bits and Panko breadcrumbs.
Step 4: Shape the Mac and Cheese Patties
Preheat the oven to 275*.
Remove macaroni and cheese from the refrigerator and use a biscuit cutter or your hands to shape the mac and cheese into circles roughly the size of the slider buns.
You will need to lightly press the macaroni and cheese patties between your palms to help them hold their shape.
Dredge the patties in the flour, then the eggs, then lastly in the bacon and bread crumb mix. Press crumbs into the patties to adhere.
Step 4: Cook the Patties
Heat 1” of vegetable oil in a frying pan to 350° F.
Place pretzel buns into the oven to lightly toast for 10 minutes.
When the oil is hot, add the patties three at a time to the hot oil. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side.
When they're done, place the fried patties onto a paper towel lined baking sheet as you work.
Work quickly, but if necessary place the breaded patties into the refrigerator until they are ready to be fried to keep them from falling apart.
When all the burger patties are cooked, arrange the sliders and top with avocado, bacon, and/or red onion. Enjoy!
Hint: Store the mac and cheese patties in the refrigerator after breading and before cooking to keep them from falling apart.
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this bacon mac and cheese burger recipe.
- Burger toppings - Swap out the avocado and red onion for your favorite burger toppings! Tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, crispy onions and so many more, make excellent ways to eat these fun and delicious burgers!
- Bun - Swap out the pretzel bun for a whole wheat bun or your other favorite mini-sized burger bread!
- Vegetarian - Leave out the bacon if you want to make a vegetarian mac and cheese burger!
Want to personalize your mac and cheese burger recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up them up.
- Buffalo - Mix in buffalo sauce into the mac and cheese after cooking. Start with 1-2 tablespoons and add more to reach desired level of spiciness.
- Mexican - Top the burgers with guacamole and salsa.
- Deluxe BBQ - Top off the burger with your favorite bbq sauce and crispy onions.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this jalapeno cheeseburger slider recipe.
Making these unique and delicious burgers doesn't require any special equipment. All you need are a few simple tools and basic kitchen equipment.
- Food processor
- 3 Shallow bowls or plates
- Rectangle baking dish
- Biscuit Cutter
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Paper towels
You can store cooked burgers in the refrigerator for up to five days and in the freezer for up to 1 month.
In order to store, allow them to fully cool and then transfer to an airtight container with a piece of parchment in between.
To reheat the burger patties, place the pre-cooked patties on a baking tray and heat in the oven until heated through.
Making bacon mac and cheese burgers is easy to do and manageable for any level cook. Here are some tips to help you get perfect results each time you make them!
- You can shape the patties using your hands or use a biscuit cutter to make perfect rounds for the patties.
- Work quickly when breading and cooking the mac and cheese patties. If they are having trouble staying together keep them in the refrigerator in between working with them.
- Don't overcrowd the pan when cooking the burgers. Leave enough room to easily flip them over to the other side in the pan.
More Burger Recipes
Do you like fun and delicious spins on burgers? Here some recipes you may also like to try
You can opt to make these burgers in the oven or air fryer instead of frying them in oil though they may end up a bit more fragile when cooked using these methods.
To cook in the oven, line them on a well sprayed baking sheet. Place in the oven at 425° F and cook until lightly browned on one side and then flip over and cook on the other side.
If you prefer to cook in the air fryer, cook them in batches until lightly crispy on each side. Flipping them over midway through the cook time.
If you don't have a food processor, don't worry you only need it to chop the bacon. Since the bacon is very crispy you can place it in a Ziploc bag and crush it with a glass or rolling pin until the texture is a fine crumb.
You can serve up your burgers with just about any burger. Some of my favorites are: chipotle mayonnaise, bbq sauce, honey mustard or spicy ketchup!
Bacon Macaroni and Cheese Burger Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Bacon Mac and Cheese Burger
- rectangle baking dish
- biscuit cutter
- thinly sliced red onion
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- Prepare macaroni and cheese according to directions on the box. Pour into a casserole dish and lightly press down. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While waiting for the macaroni and cheese to set, prepare the bacon.
- Heat a frying pan over medium high heat and cook bacon until crispy. Remove 5 slices and place those onto a paper towel lined plate and set aside to use as the slider topping. Continue to cook remaining bacon for 3 additional minutes to get them nice and crunchy. Roughly chop the bacon and add to a food processor to finely mince. Alternatively, add to a resealable bag and crush until the texture is a fine crumb.
- Heat 1” of vegetable oil in a frying pan to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a dredging station. In a shallow dish, mix to combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until blended.
- In a second dish, whisk the eggs.
- Whisk until scrambled.
- In the last dish, combine bacon bits and Panko breadcrumbs.
- Stir until blended.
- Prepare toppings. Slice avocado and red onions.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Remove macaroni and cheese from the refrigerator. Remove macaroni and cheese and shape into circles roughly the size of the slider buns.
- Use a biscuit cutter to make perfect rounds for the patties or your hands.
- Lightly press the macaroni and cheese patties between your palms to help them hold their shape. Dredge the patties in the flour.
- Then the eggs.
- Then lastly in the bacon and bread crumb mix. Press crumbs into the patties to adhere.
- Place the breaded patties covered, on a platter, inside the refrigerator until they are ready to be fried.
- Add the patties three at a time to the hot oil. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Place fried patties onto a paper towel lined baking sheet as you work. It is important to work quickly for this step so that the macaroni and cheese does not soften as burgers can break apart.
- Place pretzel buns into the oven to lightly toast for 10 minutes, if desired.
- At your workstation, place burger on top of the bottom half of your bun.
- Add avocado slices, more bacon if desired and red onion.
- Enjoy every bite.