This smoked eye of round roast is filled with the smoky flavor of cooking with wood, tender beef, and a delicious sauce. It’s the perfect meal for any carnivore.
My husband and I love smoking meats, cheeses, fish, and anything else we can think of. I recently got an eye of round roast, and rather than cook it the same old way, we decided to give smoking it a try. The results? Amazing!
Smoked Eye of Round Roast
It only takes a few ingredients to make this delicious smoked roast. The majority of these ingredients are kitchen staples, so the only things you’ll have to shop for specifically might be the roast and the wood chips!
- Dried thyme
- Dried oregano
- Dried rosemary
- Boneless eye of round roast, trimmed
- Wood chips
- Vegetable oil
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities and cooking times.
It only takes a few simple steps to make this delicious roast. As with all smoked recipes, the cooking process does most of the heavy lifting.
Step 1: Prep the Roast
Combine the ketchup, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and rosemary in a bowl. Rub the mixture all over the roast, then wrap the roast with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
Step 2: Prep the Wood Chips
Just before smoking, soak your wood chips in water for 15 minutes, then drain. Using a large piece of heavy-duty foil, create a packet and wrap the wood chips in it. Cut several vent holes in the top.
Step 3: Prep the Grill
For a Charcoal Grill
Open the bottom vent completely, then light a large chimney starter filled with briquettes. When the top coals are partially covered with ash, pour them into a pile. Set the cooking grate in place, cover the grill, and open the lid vent completely. Heat the grill until hot.
For a Gass Grill
Turn all burners on high, cover, and heat the grill until hot. Leave the burners on high.
Step 4: Smoke the Roast
Set a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet. Place an 18×12-inch sheet of foil on the cooler side of the grill and place the unwrapped roast on top of one end of the foil. Loosely roll the foil over the rost, then tuck the ends of the foil underneath to form a loose cylinder around the roast.
Cook, covered until a meat thermometer registers 125 degrees.
Step 4 (Alternate): Grill the Roast
Brush the roast all over with oil. Grill directly over the coals, turning frequently until it’s charred on all sides. Slice thin and serve. This method is for making a rare roast.
Step 5: Let the Roast Rest
After smoking the roast, remove it from the grill and transfer it to a wire rack. Tent it loosely with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes to an hour.
Hint: While you should refrigerate the roast for a minimum of 6 hours, 24 hours is better.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this smoked eye or round roast.
- Tomato Paste and Sugar – If you don’t have ketchup on hand, you can thin out tomato paste with water and add a bit of sugar.
- Tomato Sauce – Also, instead of ketchup, you can use tomato sauce.
Want to personalize this eye of round roast recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Spicy – Add red pepper flakes to the marinade to add a kick of heat to the recipe.
- Parsley – Parsley is always a nice addition to any recipe.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this roast beef with cranberry balsamic sauce.
You don’t need a lot of equipment to make this recipe. Just a few items is all it takes.
- Plastic wrap
- Aluminum foil
- Grill (smoker, gas, or charcoal)
This roast will keep well in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for 3 to 5 days. For longer storage, you can freeze this roast for a couple of months.
This is a very simple recipe, but even simple recipes can be made even better. These simple tips will help you make the best roast possible.
- If you can, marinade your roast for a full 24 hours.
- Be sure you soak your wood chips for at least 15 minutes. They need to be thoroughly soaked so they smoke instead of burn.
More Smoked Recipes
Do you like smoked recips? Here are some recipes you may also like to try
Do you have questions about smoked eye of round? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about smoked eye of round roast.
This roast will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days or in the freezer for a couple of months.
To freeze this roast, wrap it tightly in a double layer of cling wrap and then in a layer of foil.
To defrost your roast, simply put it in the refrigerator overnight.
Place the roast on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking dish. Heat, uncovered, for about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
This is beef, so a stronger wood works best. Try varieties like oak, hickory, and maple.
Let the roast rest for a minimum of half an hour to an hour. For best results, an hour and a half is better.
Smoked Eye of Round Roast
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Smoked Eye of Round
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, dried
- 1 4 pound eye of round roast boneless, trimmed
- 1 cup wood chips or pellets depending on your smoker
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- Combine ketchup, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and rosemary in bowl.
- Rub ketchup mixture all over roast
- Then wrap roast with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Set wire rack inside rimmed baking sheet. Unwrap roast.
- Cook, at 250 degrees, covered for 2 hours and thirty minutes.
- Remove cover and cook until meat registers 125 degrees (for medium-rare), between 30 and 45 minutes more for medium rare.
- Remove roast from smoker, transfer to prepared wire rack, and tent loosely with foil. Allow roast to rest for about 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Place roast on serving platter.
- Slice and serve.
- Enjoy every bite!