These Shrimpy Potato Cheese Kebabs are both a treat to the eyes and taste buds! Creamer potatoes, halloumi cheese, shrimp, onions and tomatoes served on a bed of mixed greens with a lemon garlic vinaigrette marinade and dressing!
We have been experimenting with eating healthier a few times per week. We still fit in our old favorites but figure we are not getting any younger and need to find some meals that we enjoy and ultimately contain less calories.
This healthy and delicious dinner option is perfect for any night of the week! I am so proud of this dish and it has now become part of our regular rotation!
This dish includes creamer potatoes which are full of flavor and bursting with nutrition! Their naturally buttery taste and tasty pre-washed skin make preparation minimal and eating them nothing short of divine.
The cubes of Halloumi cheese add a nice salty flavor while enhancing the creaminess of the potatoes. If you have never heard of or used this kind of cheese before I urge you to try it. It is wonderful for baking because it holds its shape and doesn’t melt everywhere!
Also, the bright red grape tomatoes, purple onion squares and the juicy pink shrimp add visual interest and complementary flavors as well. Every bite is different and so tasty.
The marinade (a lovely mixture of lemon, garlic, fresh cilantro, thyme and parsley) does double duty as the dressing that is drizzled over the finished kebabs nestled on a bed of fresh mixed greens. There you have it, a dish full of well balanced flavors that is also full of brilliant bright colors!
The name Shrimpy Potato Cheese Kebabs I have to give credit to my little cooking buddy Tyler! He figured because we were using such small potatoes he would make up a play on words.
Instead of Little Potato Shrimp and Cheese Kebabs he figured because the potatoes were “shrimpy” why not make the title interesting! He thinks most of my recipe titles are boring and I was almost somewhat offended but then I realized this 8 year old was right! His recipe title was definitely better than anything I could have come up with!
Tyler will be happy I admitted that to all of you! I also told him that he could name every recipe he helped me make and he promptly told me he would be back every Saturday just so he could make sure I choose my recipe names more wisely!
He also reminded me twice how early he gets up! He is adorable and I told him not to worry, I will be ready for him! I kind of laughed on the inside thinking about how his mother is going to feel about all of this.
There are two parts to making these Shrimpy Potato Cheese Kebabs. First you marinate the potatoes, cheese and onions. Then when you are almost ready to bake you remove the potato mixture from the fridge and start to marinate your shrimp for about 30 minutes.
After your shrimp have marinated, you press each ingredient on to a skewer and broil for a few minutes on each side. That is it! Place each baked skewer on top of some lettuce or spinach or your favorite mixed greens and drizzle some dressing over top! Now this wonderful dish is ready to eat!
Have a look at our video for Shrimpy Potato Cheese Kebabs so you can see just how easy this masterpiece is to make for you and your family!
Shrimpy Potato Cheese Kebabs
- – 20 large raw shrimp
- – 30 baby potaoes
- – 1 tablespoon salt
- – 20 grape tomatoes
- – 1 medium red onion cut into 1 inch chunks
- – 20 cubes halloumi cheese cut into 1 inch cubes
- – 1 lemon juiced and zested
- – 4 cloves fresh garlic minced, divided
- – 2 tablespoons thyme fresh
- – 2 tablespoons parsley fresh
- – 1/4 cup cilantro fresh
- – 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- – 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil divided
- – 1 package baby romaine lettuce leaves or a mixture of baby spinach and romaine leaves
- – 10 12 inch skewers
1) Boil the potatoes salted water about 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain and then put under cold running water to stop them from cooking . Dry, and cool to room temperature. Put into a roomy bowl.
2) Next cut the onion into 1 inch wide, 1 layer thick square pieces.
3) Cut the cheese into 1 inch x 1 inch cubes. Put this into bowl with the cool potatoes.
4) Now it is time to make the marinade.
5) In a small bowl, put the finely chopped herbs and 2 garlic cloves minced along with 1/2 the zest of the lemon. Mix in 1/2 cup oil and 2 tbsp. lemon juice. Season with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour the over the potatoes,cheese and onion. Mix thoroughly but carefully so as not to damage anything. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
6) 1/2 hour before cooking, You need to marinate the shrimp. Finely mince the remaining garlic cloves, the remainder of the lemon zest, and the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and place into a bowl that will comfortably hold the shrimp. Mix well. Add shrimp and mix well. Put in fridge.
7) As you put the shrimp in the fridge take the potatoes out to start warming to room temp. Take 8 wood skewers and soak in water or use metal ones.
8) Prepare a baking sheet with tinfoil and a rack lightly coated in cooking spray. Set aside.
9) When you are ready to cook, Take a skewer and thread a potato, then a shrimp, onion, a cube of cheese, tomato and repeat the sequence again ending with a potato. Place on your prepared rack and baking sheet. Repeat for the other kebabs.
10) Set your oven temperature to broil. Once hot put in the kebabs. Cook kebabs about 3 minutes per side or until shrimp is cooked.
11) To serve: on each plate, put a bed of lettuce, put a kebab on top and sprinkle the remaining marinade from the vegetables on top as a dressing. Sprinkle with some freshly chopped herbs .