Copycat Taco Bell cheesy roll ups have all that cheesy goodness we love about the original. Fully loaded with three kinds of cheese and a spicy kick to match, these roll ups are a tasty, easy snack everyone will love.
Like many people, I’m a Taco Bell fiend, and – like many people – I think they’re way too expensive. That’s why I decided to make a copycat version of my own. The results? Fantastic! Copycat Taco Bell cheesy roll- ups are a family-favorite and always will be.
Cheesy Roll Ups
My good neighbor and taste-tester, Renate, had never had a taco in her life until she tried my cheesy roll-ups. Unbelievable! Before she gave her opinion, I knew she was going to like them, because she adores cheese as much as me. It wasn’t long before she was making her own.
This recipe was inspired by my other recipe listed on this site, and check out this amazing side dish recipe. This side pairs really well with cheesy roll-ups. Mexican corn casserole is what gave me the inspiration to give this copycat recipe a try, and with this tasty tomato salsa dipping side recipe, the meal is a total winner.
It doesn’t take much to make this delicious dish. All you need are tortillas, cheese and spices. That’s it!
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Pepper Jack shredded cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Salted butter
- Smoked paprika
- Ancho chili powder
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
See the recipe card at the end of the post for amounts and cooking times.
Just like the list of ingredients is simple, so is the process of making these delicious roll-ups. It takes next to no effort and a few minutes in the air fryer to make them. How’s that for easy?
Step 1: Make the Taco Seasoning Mix
To make the taco seasoning mix, combine the spices, salt, and pepper and blend.
Step 2: Combine the Cheese
In a medium bowl, combine all three shredded cheeses and about a third of the taco seasoning. Set aside.
Step 3: Season the Tortillas
Brush tortillas with melted butter, then lay them buttered side up. Sprinkle the taco seasoning evenly over the tortillas. Save a bit of seasoning for later.
Step 4: Melt the Cheese
Place the tortillas seasoned side down on a microwaveable plate. Top with the shredded cheese blend and microwave just until the cheese is melted.
Step 5: Roll the Tortillas
Then tightly roll the tortillas from one end to the other and set them aside.
Step 6: Air Fry
Spray the tortilla roll-ups lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle the remaining taco seasoning over them. Give the air fryer basket a squirt of non-stick cooking spray and arrange the tortillas in a single layer, and air fry.
Hint: For the crispiest, most delicious roll-ups ever, preheat the air fryer before air frying the roll-ups.
Don’t have the exact ingredients or just looking to change it up? Here are some helpful tips that slightly alters this cheesy roll-ups recipe.
- Cheese – If you don’t have the cheeses listed in the recipe, any shredded cheese of your choice will work.
- Packaged Taco Seasoning – Skip making your own seasoning and buy a packet of taco seasoning instead.
- Tortillas – Veggie or whole wheat tortillas will work also.
Want to personalize this copycat Taco Bell cheesy roll-ups recipe? Here are a couple of great alternatives that changes up this dish.
- Spicy – Turn up the heat by adding chili flakes or diced jalapenos to these roll-ups.
- Deluxe – Add diced avocados or guacamole to the cheese before rolling up the tortillas.
Yum and yum.
If you find this dish enticing, then you might also enjoy my slow cooker Mexican street corn casserole.
The star of the show is the air fryer of course. But it doesn’t take much of anything else to make this simple dish.
- Air fryer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Microwaveable plate
These roll-ups will keep well in the refrigerator for up to four days. For longer storage, you can freeze them for up to two months.
For the best cheesy roll-ups ever, follow these tips and you can’t go wrong:
- Packaged shredded cheese is fine, but shredding your own is even better!
- For crispy roll-ups, preheat the air fryer.
- For easy clean-up, always spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray.
More Roll Ups Recipes
Did these roll-ups impress you? If the answer is yes, here are some other roll-up recipes you may want to try. If the answer is no, these other ones might change your mind about roll-ups.
Do you have questions about this Copycat Taco Bell cheesy roll-ups recipe? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about cheesy roll-ups.
No. They taste better!
These will keep in the refrigerator for up to four days. You can freeze them for up to two months.
Place the roll ups on a cookie sheet and freeze them. After they’re frozen, place them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
Microwave them in 30-second intervals until hot or air fry them at 375 for about 3 minutes.
Pre-packaged shredded cheese will work, but it has additives to keep it from sticking together. Shredding your own cheese yields the best consistency.
No! You can also pan fry them. Simply place a little oil in the bottom of a pan and pan-fry the roll ups on all sides until golden and crispy.
Taco Bell Cheesy Roll Ups
Ready to get cooking? Remember, you can print this recipe if like.
Copycat Taco Bell Cheesy Roll Ups
- Air Fryer
- 12 flour tortillas
- 4 oz cheddar cheese block
- 3 oz pepper jack cheese block
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese block
- 4 tbsp salted butter melted
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ancho chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 375*
- Get out and measure all of your ingredients.
- Shred your cheeses.
- Prepare taco seasoning mix. Add all ingredients to a small bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Combine cheeses in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add about a third of your taco seasoning mix.
- Toss until blended.
- Brush tortillas with melted butter then lay them flat buttered side up.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning evenly over the tortillas, saving a small amount of the seasoning for later.
- Turn tortillas over seasoned side down on a microwave safe plate. Top with shredded cheese blend. Microwave in batches for 15 seconds to melt the cheese.
- Once melted, tightly roll the tortilla from one side to the opposite end. Set aside on a baking sheet as you work.
- Lightly spray tortillas with olive oil, then sprinkle remaining seasoning over them. Spray the air fryer basket with non- stick cooking spray. Arrange rolled tortillas in a single layer in the basket.
- Air fry for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dip.
- Every bite!
- Use blocks of cheese for best consistency
- Store in the freezer for a quick snack anytime. Simply place in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 3 minutes, or microwave for 30 seconds to reheat.