This Chocolate Chip Pound Cake is moist and rich. This Chocolate Chip Pound cake recipe is by far my favorite melt in your mouth recipe. Once you top this homemade pound cake with the creamy and sweet peanut butter frosting, you have the ultimate dessert.
I love pound cakes. They are easy to make and bring out a big taste. The texture of pound cakes is so unique. I love the tender but dense cake. When you mix together chocolate chips and pound cake, you are destined to find the most delicious cake that you have ever made. Then you take the cake up a notch when you use a peanut butter frosting on top of a rich chocolate chip pound cake.
How do I store chocolate chip pound cake
There is no need to refrigerate your cake. I’ve found that chilling your cake can lead to a drier cake. Instead, store your cake in an airtight container away from heat sources such as the stove.
You can keep your cake for up to 5 days. I don’t recommend slicing your cake until you are ready to consume it. Also, do not slice your cake for freezing. When you cut your cake, it can cause your cake to dry out faster.
Can I freeze this chocolate pound cake recipe
Yes, you can freeze your chocolate chip pound cake. However, if you want to freeze your pound cake, I recommend freezing your cake unfrosted. While it is possible to freeze your cake with the frosting on the top.
I find that the frosting changes the texture slightly when frozen, so I prefer not to freeze my pound cake with the frosting on top of the cake.
When you are freezing your cake, make sure that you wrap your cake tightly in plastic wrap. Or you could use a freezer style bag.
To thaw, simply place the wrapped pound cake on your counter and allow your pound cake to thaw slowly for several hours or until your pound cake is warm all the way through the center.
Do I have to frost the cake with peanut butter frosting
Not at all. I am a HUGE fan of chocolate and peanut butter together. To me, that creamy and rich mixture is the world’s best combination. If you are not a fan of the combo or are allergic to peanuts, you have options.
You can use any type of frosting that you prefer. Some suggestions are cream cheese frosting, a simple vanilla glaze, or just vanilla frosting.
If you are not a frosting fan, this cake is impressive even without the frosting or glaze on the top of the cake. No matter how you top your cake, I promise you will love this recipe.
Can I double this recipe
Yes, you can certainly double this recipe. However, if you are doubling this recipe, you will need to use two loaf pans. If you want to only use one pan, you can bake your doubled recipe in a bundt pan.
This is a bucket list kind of recipe for a chocolate peanut butter lover.
Again, though, you will need to increase your bake time until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Can I use Gluten Free Flour for this Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
Yes, you can use gluten free flour for this chocolate pound cake recipe. I used all purpose flour to make this super rich chocolate cake. If you need a gluten free cake to feel free to use your favorite gluten free flour to make this cake.
I suggest using a gluten free that can convert cup to cup for flour.
Tips for the Perfect Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
This recipe is so easy to make. No matter your baking skills, this recipe will not disappoint you. However, if you are a novice baker, I have a suggestion for you. Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature before you start.
Using room temperature ingredients will help to make sure that your cake turns out light and fluffy.
What is the texture of this loaf
The chocolate pound cake is rich, soft, moist, and slightly dense. It is frosted with a sweet, smooth, sticky peanut butter frosting that adds a different flavor.
I love the moist and tender texture of this cake. This pound cake has the perfect pound cake texture. I don’t know about you, but I hate a dry pound cake.
Another tip is to add your eggs one at a time. Doing this always causes them to slowly mix into your batter and not cause your batter to toughen up.
Do not over mix. You never want to overmix a pound cake batter. When you overmix your pound cake batter, it can lead to a drier and tougher cake. Instead, you want to mix each step until just combined.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips, if desired
How to Make Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 350 F, then grease a loaf pan and set aside.
Step 2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium high speed for 2 minutes.
Step 3. Add in the eggs and egg yolks and beat for another minute. Next, add in the milk and vanilla and mix. Finally, mix in the dry ingredients or flour mixture, the cocoa and chocolate chips if you're using them until just combined. Do not overmix.
Step 4. Pour into a loaf pan and place into the oven.
Step 5. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Once baked, remove from the oven and place onto a wire rack to cool completely to room temperature.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Frosting
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- 3 Tablespoons powdered or confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Dash of vanilla
How to make Peanut Butter Frosting
Step 1. Once the pound cake has cooled, make the peanut butter frosting. Place all of the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk together.
Step 2. Remove the pound cake from the loaf pan and spread the peanut butter frosting on top. Slice and serve.
- For a richer cake, use half and half instead of milk.
- If your frosting is too firm to spread on top of your cake smoothly, microwave your frosting for 15 - 30 seconds until it is spreadable.
- Once you have frosted your pound cake, allow the peanut butter frosting to set about a few minutes at least, which makes your pound cake easier to slice.
Now it's time to enjoy your chocolate pound cake. Your family and friends will ask you to make this chocolate pound cake recipe over and over again. I also like to make this cake and deliver to neighbors who are recovering from surgery or a hard time. This chocolate chip pound cake is the perfect pick me up any day of the week.
More Delicious Cake Recipes
- Snickers bar layer cake
- Lemon cream cheese bundt cake
- Fruity Pebble cake
- Andes Mint cupcakes with Baileys Irish cream buttercream frosting
- banana pudding layered cake recipe
Chocolate Chip Pound Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Loaf Pan
Pound Cake Ingredients
- Remove the pound cake from the loaf pan and spread the peanut butter frosting on top. Slice and serve.
- Storage: Pound cake may be stored in an airtight container or baggie for up to 5 days.
- First gather all your ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add in the eggs and egg yolks and beat for another minute
- Add in the milk and vanilla and mix. Mix in the flour mixture and the cocoa just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips, if using.
- Pour into a loaf pan and place into the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Once baked, remove from the oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool to room temperature.
- While your pound cake is cooling gather your frosting ingredients.
- Place all of the frosting ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Mix until your frosting is thoroughly combined.
- Remove the pound cake from the loaf pan.
- Spread the peanut butter frosting on top.
- Allow your frosting to harden for a few minutes and then slice.
- Serve and enjoy.