Air Fryer French Toast Sticks are crunchy and sweet and so easy to make in your air fryer. When you are looking for a quick breakfast on a busy morning, I suggest giving these fresh toast sticks in the air fryer a try.
Not only are french toast sticks delicious, but they take less than 20 minutes, are easy and quick to make, and freezer friendly too. I don’t know about you, but as a busy mom, I am always looking for a way to have breakfast ready to go on the run that will still taste like a freshly made breakfast. These french toast sticks in the air fryer are just what I was looking for.
When I was a little girl, I used to love the frozen french toast sticks. My parents didn’t buy them very often, but they were such a flavorful and tasty treat.
I can remember looking forward to them on a school morning. My mom would put them in the toaster oven until they were nice and crispy. Then, we would dip them into pancake syrup.
Air Fryer French Toast Sticks still give you all the delicious flavor of a traditional fried french toast but without all the calories and grease.
I feel better about feeding these tasty breakfast treats to my family because they are definitely healthier than their pan fried counterparts.
What are French Toast Sticks in the Air Fryer
French toast is an American dish that is essentially sliced bread that has been soaked in an egg wash and then cooked. An egg wash is typically beaten eggs with a small amount of milk added to the eggs.
French toast has been called many things, for example, eggy bread, gypsy toast, or Bombay toast.
French toast sticks are just sliced french toast. There is nothing better than a homemade french toast, whether it comes in french toast sticks or whole french toast form. Making french toast sticks in the air fryer is an easier way to get this breakfast dish on the table quickly.
Can I freeze french toast sticks
Absolutely, you can freeze french toast sticks in the air fryer. Here are some tips for freezing your french toast sticks. First and most importantly, make sure that your air fryer French Toast Sticks are completely cooled.
It is never a good idea to freeze warm or hot food. Now that you have chilled your french toast sticks entirely, here is how to freeze them for later use.
Place cooked and cooled french toast sticks on a baking or cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment or wax paper. Place this baking sheet into the freezer for about one hour.
You are looking for a french toast sticks to partially freeze on the outside so that they don’t stick together when you place them in the freezer bag.
Next, you need to remove your partially frozen french toast sticks into a freezer safe container or freezer bag. Allow your cooked french toast sticks to remain in the freezer for up to three months.
There is no need to thaw your french toast sticks before reheating in the microwave, oven, or air fryer.
Can I make french toast sticks in the air fryer ahead of time
I don’t recommend making easy air fryer french toast ahead if you are not planning to freeze your french toast sticks.
However, if you want to save a little time in the morning, you can mix up your egg wash and have your bread slices ready to go.
That way, when you wake up in the morning to cook breakfast, all you need to do is dip your bread into your egg wash and then toss it into your air fryer for a tasty breakfast.
So, while technically it’s not a good idea to make your french toast sticks too far ahead, you can still have a yummy breakfast and save time while doing it. These air fryer french toast sticks turn out amazing after being frozen and then reheated in the air fryer.
Can I use a different type of bread
Yes, you can use any type of bread that you prefer. I love to use Texas Toast because it’s a heartier bread that holds up to the egg wash better. Some other loaves of bread that will work are french bread, challah, sourdough, flavored loaves of bread like cinnamon swirl, or the new strawberry swirl bread.
There’s a local restaurant near me, and they always make french toast with their homemade challah bread. Using challah bread makes the french toast so soft and fluffy in the center.
I had never had french toast sticks made with challah bread; however, let me tell you, it is so amazingly delicious. I strongly suggest you give making french toast with challah bread a try.
How to reheat French Toast Sticks in the Air Fryer
I have two different suggestions for reheating french toast sticks in the air fryer. First, if you are reheating your french toast sticks and they are not frozen, you will want to preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees.
Once your air fryer is preheated, lightly spray your air fryer with nonstick cooking spray, and then lay your leftover french toast sticks into the basket of your air fryer.
Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, flipping halfway through your cooking time. Remember that you are just reheating, so there is no need to worry about making sure they cook until they are done.
If you are reheating frozen air fryer french toast sticks, preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once your air fryer has preheated, lightly spray your basket with nonstick cooking spray, and then place your frozen french toast sticks in the air fryer.
Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, flipping your french toast sticks halfway through your cooking time. Once your french toast sticks are warm through the center, they are ready to serve.
Toppings for French Toast Sticks
We love to top our french toast sticks in a variety of ways. I’m listing some of our favorite ways to top our french sticks below; however, the options are endless.
- Syrup - Any flavor of syrup that you enjoy. I like this Butter Pecan Syrup. Other ideas are maple, buttermilk, huckleberry, or blueberry syrups.
- Jam or Spreads - Any type of fruit or jam spread. We like strawberries or raspberries.
- Nuts - Any type of your favorite nuts make a great topping. I suggest using chopped nuts.
- Fruit - Washed fresh fruit tastes great. Things like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, peaches, bananas, or even oranges can be used. Options are endless.
- Traditional Toppings - Things like Nutella, Chocolate or Caramel Syrups, powdered sugar, whipped cream, ice cream or even sprinkles.
Ingredients for Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- 4 slices Texas Toast style bread
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup half & half
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Toppings - maple syrup for dipping and powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar mixture for dusting
How to Make Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
Step 1. Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
Step 2. Cut bread slices into thirds
Step 3. Add eggs, half & half, add sugars, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt, and vanilla to a mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
Step 4. One-piece at a time, very gently dip bread into the mixture.
Step 5. Place each piece in the air fryer, leaving space between. You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size and style of your air fryer.
Step 6. Bake in an air fryer at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through cook time.
Step 7. Remove from the basket, allow to cool slightly, then dust with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar mixture and serve with our butter pecan syrup or maple syrup. We also have a list of our favorite sides to serve with french toast if you're interested.
- Check out our Air Fryer Tips and Tricks for some amazing information on air fryers and a list of all our air fryer recipes all in one place
- Spray your air fryer basket well to prevent your french toast sticks from sticking.
- Do not overcrowd your air fryer basket. Overcrowding can result in soggy bread.
- Use stale bread. I know that seems strange, but stale bread holds up in the egg wash better.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
Air Fryer French Toast Sticks Video
Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- First, gather all your ingredients
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Cut bread slices into thirds
- Add eggs, half & half, add sugars, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt and vanilla to a mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
- One piece at a time, very gently dip bread into the mixture.
- Place each piece in air fryer, leaving space between. You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size and style of your air fryer.
- Bake in air fryer at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through cook time.
- Remove from basket, allow to cool slightly, then dust with powders sugar or cinnamon sugar mixture and serve with syrup.
- Top with syrup and serve with one of our favorite sides. Enjoy every bite.