Ken absolutely loves this Easy Cheese Strata and is still shocked at how easy it is to prepare! He always loves this first thing in the morning. The house smells delicious and this simple breakfast or brunch is a hit every time.
Growing up my mother always made this recipe for special occasions and holiday morning breakfasts. I have such warm and good memories of eating this on Christmas morning with all of us crowded around the dining room table.
It is very easy to make and doesn’t take long at all to bake. It will make your guests think you slaved away in the kitchen!
This Easy Cheese Strata has all of the ingredients that make breakfast so good all in one dish!
You begin by toasting whatever bread you have on hand. We have used many different kinds of bread over the years and they are all delicious! You will arrange the bread in the bottom of the casserole dish. Make sure the entire bottom is covered.
We usually use ham in this recipe. Like the toast, we have used different types of breakfast meats over the years. We have tried ham, sausage, and bacon. It is so good with any meat you choose!
You layer the meat and cheese over the toast in the dish.
I think that the egg mixture is what makes this dish special. The mixture contains eggs, milk and some spices which add an interesting and subtle flavor! The recipe calls for dried mustard and a pinch of nutmeg! When you add salt and pepper the mixture is ready to be poured in your casserole dish.
This casserole takes 30 minutes or less to bake to a golden brown.
If you are looking for other great breakfast, brunch or dinner recipes look no further. I have included a list of all of our favorites below!
We also have a few french toast and pancake recipes that are definitely worth a look if you are ever in the mood for something sweeter!
I hope that you and your family can make special memories that include this Easy Cheese Strata. You will find our Easy Cheese Strata video below. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Easy Cheese Strata
- 6-10 slices bread, your favorite variety, toasted, enough to cover the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan
- 2 cups ham, chopped or diced
- 2 cups cheese, shredded
- 6 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons mustard, yellow
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 13x9 inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Arrange your toasted bread across the bottom of your prepared pan. Cut slices if you have to.
- Sprinkle ham and then cheese over top of your toast.
- Spread the ham and cheese around as evenly as possible.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt, mustard, nutmeg and pepper.
- Pour over top of the toast, ham and cheese.
- Bake for between 22 and 30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to rest in your pan for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!