Air Fryer Pretzel Dogs are made from pretzel dough wrapped around hot dogs. What is NOT to love?? These Pretzel Dogs will be perfect for 4th of July picnics, an easy appetizer, or a quick lunch for the kiddos.
If you are looking for an easy lunch, this is a recipe that you will want to make. These pretzel dogs are the perfect mix of salty pretzels and hot dogs filling.
Pretzel Dogs in Air Fryer
Have you ever been to a fair that serves pretzel dogs? They are always one of Ken’s favorite items to grab at the fair. So, his love of these pretzel dogs is what inspired me to make them at home. Using the air fryer made this dish so easy.
You only need nine ingredients to make these easy air fryer pretzels dogs, and you will be so glad that you tried this recipe.
- warm beer
- granulated sugar
- dry yeast
- bread flour
- melted butter
- hot dogs
- baking soda
- coarse salt
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Air Fryer Pretzel Dogs
Ready to make these pretzel dogs? Follow these seven steps and you will have delicious and homemade pretzel dogs to eat for yourself.
Step 1: Make pretzel dough
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the warm beer, sugar and yeast. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes or until it appears frothy and foamy. Using the paddle attachment, add the flour, salt, and 4 Tablespoons melted butter. Use medium speed to mix until well incorporated.
Step 2: Knead the pretzel dough
Switch to the dough attachment and knead on medium speed for about 5 minutes. At this point, the dough should start pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
Step 3: Let pretzel dough rise
Cover the bowl and put it in a warm place to rise for one hour. The dough should double in size. Halfway through rising time, preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees and prepare your basket with cooking spray.
Step 4: Shape the dough
When the dough is ready, section it into 8 equal pieces and roll it into 8 long ropes. Wrap the dough ropes around the hot dogs, trimming when you get to each end as necessary.
Step 5: Boil the pretzel dogs
Meanwhile, boil the 5 cups of water, add the baking soda, and stir. When the water is boiling, drop each hot dog pretzel into the water one at a time and allow it to sit for 30 seconds.
Step 6: Salt and butter the pretzel dogs
Remove the pretzel dog from the water and place them on a cutting board, evenly spaced and brush the remaining melted butter on top. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
Step 7: Air Fry Pretzel Dogs
Air Fry dogs at 400 degrees for 13 – 16 minutes.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this Air Fryer Pretzel Dogs.
- Biscuits– don’t like pretzels? Use canned biscuits and go straight to air fryer directions.
- Brats – Use brats in place of the hotdogs for additional flavor.
- Little Smokies– make mini pretzel dogs by using little smokies.
I love this recipe as it is written but if you want to change it up or make things a little fancier,
you can try adding other seasonings as well. Try swapping out the salt for:
● Poppy Seeds
● Sesame Seeds
● Everything Bagel Seasoning
● Dried Herbs
You can also try seasoning the butter. Give these additions a try:
● Garlic Powder
● Honey Mustard
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy (link similar recipe here)
You only need six basic kitchen tools to make this air fryer recipe.
- mixing bowl
- air fyrer
- baking sheet
These pretzels are best fresh from the oven but if you need to store extra overnight, they heat up surprisingly well. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge, then heat them in the microwave.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Do you like Air Fryer recipes? Here are some recipes you may also like to try
- Air Fryer Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Cake
- Easy Air Fryer Strawberry Shortcakes
- Air fryer Mummy Hot Dogs
Do you have questions about air fryer pretzel dogs? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
Yes, you can use rapid yeast but you will need to follow the package directions for the expected rising time. Typically rapid rise yeast takes less than half the amount of time to rise. Either way, the dough is done when it has doubled in size so that is a safe guideline to follow. For this particular recipe, I prefer regular yeast. It allows me time to prepare the rest of the meal and get the water and baking soda for dipping.
If you do not want to use beer, you can make this recipe with water instead. Just use 1 ½ cups warm water instead and make sure it is heated to the proper temperature, 110 degrees.
The dough should be sticky but not stick to your fingers. If it is too sticky, add one Tablespoon of flour at a time until it can be handled
Preheat your pretzel dogs in your air fryer at 350 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes or until warm all the way through.
Air Fryer Pretzel Dogs
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Air Fryer Pretzel Dogs
- mixing bowl
- cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups warm beer heated to 110 – 115 degrees
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 4 ½ cups bread flour
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 8 hot dogs
- 5 cups water
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter melted or garlic butter
- pinches coarse salt as desired
- Gather all the ingredients needed.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the warm beer, sugar and yeast. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes or until it appears frothy and foamy.
- Using the paddle attachment, add the flour, salt and 4 Tablespoons melted butter. Use medium speed to mix until well incorporated.
- Switch to the dough attachment and knead on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Your dough should start pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
- Cover the bowl and place in a warm place to rise for one hour. The dough should double in size.
- When the dough is ready, section it into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each section into 8 long ropes.
- Wrap the dough ropes around the hot dogs, trimming when you get to the end.
- Meanwhile, boil the 5 cups of water, add the baking soda and stir. When the water is boiling, drop each hot dog pretzel into the water one at a time and allow it to sit for only 30 seconds.
- Remove the pretzel dogs from the water and place inside greased air fryer basket. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with salt.
- Air fry at preheated 400 degrees for 13 – 16 minutes.
- Remove from air fryer and serve.
- Dip and enjoy every bite!