Crunchy Cheesy Potatoes
Layered with crunchy cornflakes and/or French's fried onions, then topped with silky, gooey cheese, these crunchy cheesy potatoes have got taste and personality!
- 2 - 4 potatoes, large, sliced to ¼-1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup cheese, shredded or more to taste
- 1 cup sour cream or sour cream based flavored dip - plus more for serving
- bacon, chopped, almost crisp if desired
- ¼ cup milk -
- 1 cup cornflakes or and/or French's fried onions, crushed
- 1 tblsp dried onion flakes - to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt -
- ½ teaspoon pepper -
- cooking spray
Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream or sour cream based dip, milk, onion flakes, salt and pepper. In batches, add potatoes and stir to coat thoroughly. Place coated slices on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle a layer of crushed cornflakes and/or French's fried onions on top of potato slices. Add bacon pieces, if using. Lastly, pile cheese up high in the middle of the potato as it will spread while baking. Bake at 350 degrees between 35 to 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Some potatoes cook faster than others depending on their thickness. Test with a small fork or toothpick for doneness. Serve immediately with sour cream.