These Sweet Potato Biscuits are so yummy, they could pass for dessert. With warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and a touch of sugar, you can easily see why. Perfect for any event or occasion, these Sweet Potato Biscuits will impress every time!
Other Sweet Potato Recipes
Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour –
- 2 teaspoons baking powder –
- ½ teaspoon salt –
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- ⅓ cup cold butter
- 1 cup cold, mashed sweet potato made WITHOUT milk or butter
- ⅓ cup milk –
- 1 large egg – lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sugar – we make sure there is enough sugar to coat all of your biscuits
- cooking spray
- You have two options to cook your sweet potato. We usually poke a few holes in one and bake at 400 degrees for about an hour, depending on the size of your sweet potato. Once cooked, remove from oven and when cool enough to handle, the skin should just peel off with your fingers. You can also poke some holes in the sweet potato and microwave it until soft. Either way, place cooked sweet potato into a bowl and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil and cooking spray and set aside. In a large sized bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in butter until nice and crumbly. Set aside. Once sweet potatoes are cool add milk and stir until incorporated. Add sweet potato mixture to flour mixture and stir. Dump onto your floured work surface and knead for a few minutes. You can either place heaping spoonfuls of dough on your prepared sheet, as big or as small as you want them, or, roll the dough out until it is between ½ – ¾ of an inch thick. Slice or cut with a floured cookie cutter and place on your prepared baking sheet.
- These biscuits will spread out while baking so make sure they are not too close, at least an inch apart, if not more. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for between 10 and 15 minutes or golden brown. Serve and enjoy!