Asian Inspired Braised Short Ribs makes the most tender and flavorful slices of beef whether you use bone in or boneless short ribs. This recipe's a keeper.
Asian Inspired Braised Short Ribs
- roasting pan
- 5 pounds short ribs, bone in or 2 ½ - 3 pounds boneless trimmed of excess fat and silver skin
- pepper as needed
- 2 tablespoons olive or another vegetable oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup Chinese rice cooking wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups broth, beef or vegetable you can substitute water if necessary
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl combine soy sauce, rice wine, broth and garlic. Set aside.
- Place a large enough casserole dish or roasting pan on your counter to hold all of your ribs. Rinse and pat your ribs dry with paper towel. Sprinkle with pepper.
- In a large skillet, over medium to medium-high heat, place 1-2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering or a drop of water flicked in it dances. Add ribs and brown on all sides. Heat more oil if necessary. Transfer your ribs to your casserole dish or roasting pan. If you are using bone in short ribs make sure the bone side is facing upwards.
- Add soy mixture to skillet and bring to a boil. Once boiling carefully pour into your casserole dish or roasting pan, scraping up all of the bits in the pan.
- Bake for 2 ½ - 3 hours or until the meat is very, very tender. Adjust and re-organize your meat at least once while baking. Make sure each piece in coated in the liquid.
- Remove the dish or pan from your oven and place the ribs on a serving plate or platter, cover or tent loosely with tinfoil.
- Pour liquid back into your skillet, over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil.
- In a small cup combine cornstarch with 3-4 tablespoons of water until dissolved. Add to simmering sauce in your skillet. Stir constantly until thickens, about 5 minutes. Add between 1 and 2 cups of water. Taste the gravy and dilute with water until the gravy is to your liking. Heat the gravy up. Coat ribs in gravy or dump a spoonful on top of ribs before serving.
- Serve over rice, roast or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!